What do you want from a behind the scenes bike podcast?

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,546
Hi,

Next week I will be on the finish line mic for the Tour of Britain. Then I go out to Wollongong for the Worlds and I'll be in Adelaide for the Tour Down Under.

So I thought I'd become the last comedian in UK to start a podcast. Unlike the brilliant Cycling Podcast or The Move etc I thought I'd make it focus a bit more on all the other stuff other than the actual racing and what the podcasters had for dinner the night before. Yes those will still feature, but

Small but interesting things that always fascinated me before working on the races were

How does Radio Tour work?
Do teams spy on other teams radio chats?
What exactly is a Regulator?
What prep / reccy work do Teams do before the races?
Who is the most annoying rider for poorly timed natural breaks?

I have several riders, team managers and race associated staff who have agreed to do interviews with me this week and also in Oz...

So what do you want to hear about????

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    Nice gigs.

Once you get past reporting the dinner menu and what wines you enjoyed 😉 I like the down to basics, real life insight stuff, rather than just repeating the std media interviews, the recap of the stage that we've all seen at least highlights of, etc.

Which is why I like hearing Hincapie and Bruyneel on The Move, and Lizzy Banks on The Cycling Podcast. And she was v good on that recent Talking Luft with Mitch Docker.

So guess I'm saying cultivate contacts inside the teams, get their real not PR angles on what's happening.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Anything that extends outside PR speak would be appreciated.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Off-camera stories are always the best.

Eccentric behaviour from some riders - remember hearing a story about Tankink buying and selling shares on a mobile phone in the neutral zone of a stage, that kind of thing.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 452
    Logistics behind the scenes? Room prep, travel, feeding, working on the bikes, who does what….
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Have a chat about pro cyclists obsession with coffee. It feels like loads of them have a deal with coffee suppliers.