28mm rear 25mm front

I’ve been given a set of 28mm tyres which will fit the rear but no chance on the front, just out of curiosity apart from the comfort factor is there any potential benefit from running a 28mm rear and 25mm front

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    Theoretically slightly lower rolling resistance on the rear by running a wider tyre at lower pressure, while having the front slightly narrower will marginally help aero. You may as well try it and see if you like it if you already have the tyres.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,867
    edited August 2022
    A theoretical aero gain if the 25mm sidewall blends nicely into the wheel rim and you're going ~15mph+, the faster the more gain.

I was using a GP5000 23mm front with 32mm rear until the front recently got a sidewall tear, so now using a 25mm instead.

The thing that really surprised me with the 23mm was that I expected to have a trade off with less comfort, but despite being 79-85Kg over the last year, ~95PSI felt absolutely fine.

The tear was my own silly fault, I used a cut through for the first time that links up the top of North Lane with Droxford Road, part of the South Downs Way. It quickly went from smooth gravel at the Butser Hill end to rock gardens, dry mud ruts and rim high gravel... I really should have turned around!

Now waiting for a replacement £30 23mm to put in the spares box for next spring from Sigma Sports.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,706
    The main benefit is you won't notice the difference between 25-28, 25-25 and 28-28.
  • As above really
    Motorcycles very often have a narrower front than rear as standard, for many years now.
    More weight/power goes to the rear on normal riding.
    The ability to 'squish' the front tyre (increasing the area of the contact patch) under heavy braking can be usefull (needs practice).
    I run a 23mm front and 25mm rear at the moment, no problems thus far. Seems the thing to do anyway.
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    Canyon Aeroads ship with 25mm front and 28mm rear as standard.