Freehub either loose or sticky...

a1dan
a1dan Posts: 17
Having noticed a fair bit of play in my rear hub, I stripped it down, cleaned and rebuilt, but it's still the same. If I tighten the locknuts right up, the hub clunks a lot and the wheel doesn't freewheel properly, stopping after only a few revolutions. If I loosen the nuts off a little, it will freewheel, but a whole load of play is introduced again.
It's only a cheap, basic hub (Shimano C201/RM40, I think)... will it just be a case of replacing the freehub with a new one, or am I missing anything?

Comments

• When you say you services tge freehub I assume you cleaned things as
    Shimano freehubs tend to be throw away items and arnt serviceable ,that particular one is a 20ish quid reacement
    Cup and cone hubs need set pretty much exactly for them to operate properly
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It sounds like the hub bearings have had it (or are adjusted not quite right) as opposed to the freehub bearings. There are two pairs (usually) in a rear hub: those that carry the freehub mechanism; and those that carry the axle.

My guess is the latter ones - in your case - need replacing (or adjusting).
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • a1dan
    a1dan Posts: 17
    Yeah, basically just cleaned and re-greased, re-assembled. Sounds like it'll just be a new hub!
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 608
    edited September 2022
    Shimano hubs usually have simple cup and cone bearings. If they cannot be adjusted to give smooth rotation without any play it suggests something's corroded. Loose ball bearings can be replaced, as can the cones if they are pitted. Pitted drive-side cup can be sorted by replacing the freehub, pitted NDS cup means a new hub or wheel.
    All the (many, tiny) bearings for the freehub are hidden inside the thing and not easily user serviceable. As mentioned above, the unit is easily / cheaply replaced.

Although as a Yorkshireman I periodically remove my shimano freehubs, pick out the seal and flush them with WD40 followed by oil to remove any crud, then refill with a mixture of oil and grease before replacing the seal and reattaching. Makes them a lot quieter and buys me another year of use...
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    edited September 2022
    As mentioned above, it might be a case of adjustment. A fraction of a turn of the cones (plus locknut) can make the bearings either too tight or loose.
    When the final adjustment is made, a small amount of play is necessary, when the quick release lever is tightened, the play is removed.
    If no play is present (before tightening the quick release), the bearings will bind.

If the freehub itself spins, and you can hear the pawls engaging, it could be fine.