tuesday thinking of the vermillion deserts of mars

'ning

nippy start

ride cafes, wfh, laze
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083
    Day off today as I was meant to be still racing 😢 decided not to work and take the eldest into snowdonia to cheer him up after his girlfriend dumped him.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    'Plenty more fish in the sea' was no consolation at that age.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Bit dull. Convalesce today. Might wait in vain for post.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    tlw1 said:

Day off today as I was meant to be still racing 😢 decided not to work and take the eldest into snowdonia to cheer him up after his girlfriend dumped him.

Stupid girl. He’s better off without.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Further greetings fellow people, slow weekend new pedals been ditched after I managed to slide them off the spindle, be a fun one to return to Sigma with the postal strikes messing things around. Also meant to be sending off some glasses to be reglazed, again having to wait.
    Time to berate idiots for being idiots and not following written instructions and see if the VPN survived a weekend (signs being good it has as my inbox is not exploding).
  • seanoconn
    pinno said:

I lost a stone in weight when my first semi serious girlfriend dumped me. She was 4 years older at 21, had her own place and I couldn’t really offer much apart from my Willy.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    'ning

Ride
    Run
    WFW
    Ride
    Gym

maybe
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,617
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

I lost a stone in weight when my first semi serious girlfriend dumped me. She was 4 years older at 21, had her own place and I couldn’t really offer much apart from my Willy.
    So not riding girls is a bit like riding bikes? I dropped the thick end of a stone after taking up bike riding :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Distinctly Autumnal here and it's still August.

Need to get a new chain for the Communter as I pretty bust my chain on yesterday's ride - was still connected but only just and skipping between cogs pretty badly. Otherwise, a day in the cave easing myself back in after a 4 day weekend.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,200
    Smartz meterz being installed, leccy one up and running as I type, gas one in progress. So can I expect direct brain messages from Bill Gates' cohort via the smartz and the 5G covid vaccine chip? Or do they come via the LED light bulbs?

Dry if grey for now; some more groundworks for a bit until I feel too crackered. Then dunno, might try a short pedal, see if the calf muscles want to cooperate.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    orraloon said:

Smartz meterz being installed, leccy one up and running as I type, gas one in progress. So can I expect direct brain messages from Bill Gates' cohort via the smartz and the 5G covid vaccine chip? Or do they come via the LED light bulbs?

You can expect a little box telling you that you are using energy.
    I saved energy by unplugging it. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Dry if grey for now; some more groundworks for a bit until I feel too crackered. Then dunno, might try a short pedal, see if the calf muscles want to cooperate.

Just get an Alexa on top and then you'll be a primary data mining vessel.
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

Good while it lasted.
  • seanoconn
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

You can expect a little box telling you that you are using energy.
    I saved energy by unplugging it. 😉
    This. ^^^^

Might be ok living on your own but watching the spike in energy usage every time the kids plug in/turn on a device will be hazardous to your mental well-being.
  • pinno
    step83 said:

Further greetings fellow people, slow weekend new pedals been ditched after I managed to slide them off the spindle, be a fun one to return to Sigma with the postal strikes messing things around. Also meant to be sending off some glasses to be reglazed, again having to wait.
    Time to berate idiots for being idiots and not following written instructions and see if the VPN survived a weekend (signs being good it has as my inbox is not exploding).

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Back from dropping the Golf back at the garage after my wife managed to blow it up. Stuck with which of the three cars to sell, tough decisions. Accidentally had a macdonalds on the way home so that's my diet done. Bit of work to do but I've run out of coffee so my efficiency is way down...
  • thistle_
    haydenm said:

Back from dropping the Golf back at the garage after my wife managed to blow it up.

With the recent dry weather I assume she didn't kill it by driving through a ford that was too deep?
  • pblakeney
    haydenm said:

Back from dropping the Golf back at the garage after my wife managed to blow it up. Stuck with which of the three cars to sell, tough decisions. Accidentally had a macdonalds on the way home so that's my diet done. Bit of work to do but I've run out of coffee so my efficiency is way down...

I'd sell the Golf. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • haydenm
    thistle_ said:

haydenm said:

Back from dropping the Golf back at the garage after my wife managed to blow it up.

With the recent dry weather I assume she didn't kill it by driving through a ford that was too deep?
    Just a perished coolant pipe which went, her first reaction was to call me in tears from the side of the motorway when I was in Thurso for work rather than the RAC. Not actually her fault but we have a running 'joke' that any car she touches explodes. We took it back to where we bought it, they sorted it but now the cabin heaters don't work so it's back down there again. Part of me is confused as to why a pipe would burst on a 2017 car but I am no expert.

We have a decision whether to sell it on or sell the defender (rather than try to fit forward facing seats in the back for baby seats). Hugely varying estimates of value for the defender according to everyone and their dog so I'm not sure who to believe. I'm tempted to take advantage of the hot market and sell it, but all it needs to do is stagnate in value and it'll be much cheaper in the long run than the Golf.
  • Stevo_666
    thistle_ said:

haydenm said:

With the recent dry weather I assume she didn't kill it by driving through a ford that was too deep with an amphibious turkey in the boot?
    FTFY.
  • haydenm
    pblakeney said:

haydenm said:

I'd sell the Golf. 😉
    Takes 2 baby seats and goes quite fast. The Defender doesn't do either of those things but we've spend a large amount of money getting it to where it is now... and it was our wedding car atc
  • thistle_
    edited August 2022
    Golf, Defender, what's the 3rd option?
  • pblakeney
    haydenm said:

pblakeney said:

haydenm said:

I'd sell the Golf. 😉
    Takes 2 baby seats and goes quite fast. The Defender doesn't do either of those things but we've spend a large amount of money getting it to where it is now... and it was our wedding car atc
    My comment was based on your comment of the Golf being blown up.
    Exaggerated input leads to exaggerated conclusion. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,200
    The environmental charity I used to do volunteer work for back in my days in The Valley had a 05 LWB Defender, 125k, rather shabby bodywork, subject to the usual LR levels of mechanical (un)reliability. They wanted to dispose of, replace with a more reliable bit of kit. Advertised in various online sites, lots of interest, went for a considerable chunk of £.
  • haydenm
    thistle_ said:

Golf, Defender, what's the 3rd option?

An XC60 like the dad I am due to become. If there is one car I'm driving to Caithness to spend three days driving round a forest its the XC60, defenders are largely useless and horrible. I took it to a site an hour from here yesterday, all afternoon driving around a wood and playing in quarries then home. Not sure I could manage anything further than that. If it was less rubbish I could use it for work, sell the Golf and let the XC60 become the OH's family wagon.
    orraloon said:

The environmental charity I used to do volunteer work for back in my days in The Valley had a 05 LWB Defender, 125k, rather shabby bodywork, subject to the usual LR levels of mechanical (un)reliability. They wanted to dispose of, replace with a more reliable bit of kit. Advertised in various online sites, lots of interest, went for a considerable chunk of £.

Ours is the last of the 300tdi so it should be more collectable being that it's not a transit engine. Almost the entire thing has been replaced with new galvanised components, the last thing to do would be a respray and some interior tarting. 116,000 miles. Might fetch anywhere between £15k and £30k depending on who you talk to.

Also tempted to keep it and the Tentbox and rent it out for £900 a week...
  • pinno
    Buy a pick up truck.

HaydenM missed Turkeygate.
  • thistle_
    Can you sell the Defender but keep an NFT of it?
  • pinno
    edited August 2022
    thistle_ said:

He can sell the non-existent parts that have rusted away to nothing as NFT's.

Here's my Jag e-type. I'm going to make a killing:

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Evening folks,
    Busy day, usual nonsense, all very dull.
    How's WS doing today? Hope a better day has been had.
  • seanoconn
    pinno said:

thistle_ said:

He can sell the non-existent parts that have rusted away to nothing as NFT's.

Here's my Jag e-type. I'm going to make a killing:

Wow, it’s so shiny!