La Vuelta 2022 - Stage 10:- Elche-Alicante, 30.9km ITT ***Spoilers***

Stage 10:- Elche-Alicante, 30.9km ITT

Tuesday, August 30
Start Time: 14-40CET.

The peloton will fly from the Principality of Asturias to the Province of Alicante to visit its two most populated cities in a decisive individual time trial for La Vuelta 22.
Stage 10 at the Vuelta a España is an individual time trial of 30.9 kilometres between Elche and Alicante.
Apart from a low hill in the last 2 kilometres the parcous is virtually flat, so it favours raw power over technical ability, while the final, coastal section into Alicante could be influenced by the wind.

The departure will be from Elche, a locality that has been awaiting La Vuelta’s return for 27 years.
Last year, Arnaud Démare won a Tour of Valencia sprint in the town on the Costa Blanca. The last Vuelta a España sprint in Alicante took place in 2019. Sam Bennett took the spoils. Speeds should be high as the first half of the stage is slightly downhill.

Final Kms.
The route between Elche and Alicante is not very challenging. Long and straight roads. The penultimate kilometre is somewhat different, as it runs slightly uphill.

What to Expect.

The pure climbers could find themselves at a severe disadvantage after this stage. In modern cycling, 30km of time trialling can add up to a very significant differences. This is an opportunity for men like Remco Evenepoel and Primoz Roglic to shape the general classification to their liking.
Also men like World Champion Rohan Dennis and Remi Cavagna will fancy this lots.

Elche

Population 234,765
Elche is a city in southeast Spain. It’s known for its Vila Murada old town and the Palmeral of Elche, a vast palm grove.

Part of the municipality is coastal yet the city proper is roughly 15 km (9 mi) away from the Mediterranean Sea. A small creek called Vinalopó flows through the city. Elche is the centre of the footwear industry in Spain. The espadrille industry developed in the 19th century, eventually becoming the leading Spanish municipality at producing textile footwear. By the late century, local entrepreneurs began to invest in leather footwear factories. The footwear industry grew during the Great War and thereafter.

Alicante

Population 337,482
has become a cycling epicentre for many of the cycling teams and will, once again, be part of La Vuelta. This commitment to cycling has even affected mobility within the capital itself, featuring several kilometres of bike lanes and different routes with which to discover the city on two wheels. The Provincial Council of Alicante celebrates the second centenary of its creation with a new stage.
Alicante is a port city on Spain’s southeastern Costa Blanca, and the capital of the Alicante province. Its old town, Barrio de la Santa Cruz, has narrow streets, colored houses and a nightlife scene. From here, an elevator or a steep climb leads to medieval Castillo de Santa Bárbara, set on a hilltop with sweeping views of the Mediterranean coast.

The region is a food-lovers' paradise with its abundance of fresh fish and shellfish dishes, tasty fruit and vegetables and delicious sweets such as Valor chocolate from Villajoyosa and the tasty turron, which is similar to nougat.

Pericana
It is a traditional Spanish “tapa” from the Province of Alicante (it is especially popular in Alcoy and its surrounding area) which is prepared with the blue whiting, dried peppers, and olive oil. It is a dish that was created by shepherds. It is often used as a starter, as it stimulates the taste buds and provides an interesting balance of flavors.

Simply red prawns
Denia prawns are a delicacy and come with quite a hefty price tag, especially at Christmas-time when they can be as much as €200 a kilo.

Turrón de Alicante

Although turrón de Alicante falls under the aforementioned PGI, it is quite different to that of Jijona, above all due to its texture. For this reason, it is known as turrón duro, or hard turrón. It also contains a large amount of almonds, but in this case they are not ground but diced. Like that of Jijona, turrón de Alicante also contains honey, however the ingredient responsible for emulsifying and making the other ingredients stick together is egg white.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    I see Affini is not starting due to sickness. Not looking great for Roglic.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited August 2022
    "Also men like World Champion Rohan Dennis" - I'd forgotten he was even riding.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Norsgaard and Drizners out due to COVID. 2 or 3 each day it seems.
  • Hayter is also out with Covid.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    Just as well the TTT was stage 1.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    The top 10 TT riders in the Vuelta according to Pro Cycling Stats. Dennis at a lowly 9th is a bit of a surprise, but I guess he hasn't won or even ridden that many TTs in the last 12 months.

1 EVENEPOEL Remco Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl Team 642 4
    2 HAYTER Ethan INEOS Grenadiers 631 5
    3 ROGLIČ Primož Jumbo-Visma 530 7
    4 ARENSMAN Thymen Team DSM 490 9
    5 AFFINI Edoardo Jumbo-Visma 290 22
    6 PEDERSEN Mads Trek - Segafredo 279 24
    7 CAVAGNA Rémi Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl Team 263 27
    8 YATES Simon Team BikeExchange - Jayco 230 32
    9 DENNIS Rohan Jumbo-Visma 226 33
    10 ALMEIDA João UAE Team Emirates 212 34

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    I can see Yates reaching for the podium
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Am I right in thinking only symptomatic covid gets you off the race?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135

Am I right in thinking only symptomatic covid gets you off the race?

Viral load I believe (at least that was how it was justified leaving some positive riders in at the Tour).
  • kingstongraham
    DeadCalm said:

The top 10 TT riders in the Vuelta according to Pro Cycling Stats. Dennis at a lowly 9th is a bit of a surprise, but I guess he hasn't won or even ridden that many TTs in the last 12 months.

1 EVENEPOEL Remco Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl Team 642 4
    2 HAYTER Ethan INEOS Grenadiers 631 5
    3 ROGLIČ Primož Jumbo-Visma 530 7
    4 ARENSMAN Thymen Team DSM 490 9
    5 AFFINI Edoardo Jumbo-Visma 290 22
    6 PEDERSEN Mads Trek - Segafredo 279 24
    7 CAVAGNA Rémi Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl Team 263 27
    8 YATES Simon Team BikeExchange - Jayco 230 32
    9 DENNIS Rohan Jumbo-Visma 226 33
    10 ALMEIDA João UAE Team Emirates 212 34

Interesting - with two of them not starting, the 10th best remaining is Jungels, who is only ranked 49th overall.
  • kingstongraham
    Bennett, Sweeny, De Tier and Jose Herrada also not starting today.
  • kingstongraham
    Sam Bennett should have started already, but has not.
  • mididoctors
    Only 119 riders left in the race?
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

Sam Bennett should have started already, but has not.

Cycling Ireland have pulled out of the Aussie world champs due to costs, so Sam has hopped onto a boat to attend.

That statement may not be true.
  • mididoctors
    Cavanga on the early tear
  • kingstongraham
    Cavagna looks to have given it a go - leading by 53 seconds, average speed of 54.03 kmh.

Dennis about to start, then the others from that top ten list are all in the last 11 starters, going off from 16:35 local time.
  • kingstongraham
    DeadCalm said:

Dennis at a lowly 9th is a bit of a surprise, but I guess he hasn't won or even ridden that many TTs in the last 12 months.

He's done two TTs over 20km in the last year, the Commonwealths and the Aussie nationals. Won both.

Also Romandie 5km prologue and 15km TT stage and Paris Nice 13km TT that he didn't win.
  • mididoctors
    Trying to build for the world's I thought . Not sure if he is hitting his numbers for now
  • kingstongraham
    Not today for Dennis - 39 seconds down at T2.
  • Cavagna is going to remain leader in the clubhouse until the last few riders arrive..........at least.

Rohan Dennis at 1'-20", giving up in the end.
    Fred Wright goes 3rd.
  • Sivakov going surprisingly well.
    ST as Cavagna at the first check.
  • kingstongraham
    O'Connor 3rd at T2 - didn't expect that.
  • Evenepoel fastest on the course but every contender seems to be riding above themselves atm.
    Yates particularly good.

O’Connor 4th at the finish @53”
  • kingstongraham
    Cavagna looking VERY impressed by Evenepoel's time
  • Evenepoel 21 seconds faster at the first split
  • Arensman has cooked himself but still lost a packet.
    Another Covid casualty incoming I wonder….
  • Superman flying again
  • mididoctors
    Almedia....oh dear
  • mididoctors
    How did that happen
  • kingstongraham

Arensman has cooked himself but still lost a packet.
    Another Covid casualty incoming I wonder….

He was the fourth best on that list earlier, lost two minutes to Cavagna and looked totally done.