Alex Dowsett retires

hommelbier
hommelbier Posts: 1,555
"I’ve been more in a state of actually being happy with what I’ve achieved and being content with my work"

https://twitter.com/alexdowsett?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Comments

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Not a big surprise if you follow his social media etc. Seemed to be heading this way over this year.
    Hope he enjoys his new ventures. He deserves great credit for changing our perception of haemophiliacs and hopefully inspiring others to fulfill their potential.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    RichN95. said:

Six time GB TT champion. Two time Giro stage winner. Changed my perception of haemophiliacs. Chapeau.

Hour record holder too :)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    He was great wasn't he. Loved the giro road stage .
    @RichN95. Did you know I road with him a few times
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • +1 for that interview - he comes across just as well as he did when he was racing, to be honest.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

I rate him as a human being
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Interesting (bordering on decidedly non-positive) comments on rooming with Wiggo and Sir Dave's communication style.
  • It's taken a while for me to get there but I think I now accept that it's more likely than not that the best sportsperson in the world (at that time in that discipline) will be a prick. It takes a certain personality style to be that dedicated.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    edited October 2023
    Or they just have otherworldly talent like Messi, Usain Bolt, Steph Curry, Pogacar etc.

By and large, it's probably not actually true, since it's quite easy to find examples against it just as it is easy to find examples for it (Senna, Verstappen, Cristiano Ronaldo, Jordan most famously).
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • For the record, he is only retired from professional cycling, but he is still being a relatively serious athlete, competing in the more Corinthian and decisively non professional National time trial scene. The same scene that occasionally produces some mega talent, like Boardman and more recently Josh Tarling.
    left the forum March 2023