sungod Posts: 17,129
    'ning

gloomymild, no repeat of yesterday's soggy start

ride cafes and wfh, with lazing
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    Drizzly grey.
    Yesterday got slowly better and better. Maybe it will happen again...

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    all* the leaves are brown and the skies are grey

thames water has plenty to spare though, it's running through the streets in fitzrovia

*poetic licence
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Last full day of holiday. Iโ€™ll miss the serenity and beauty but itโ€™s starting to drag a little otherwise. Father in law has covid so thatโ€™s put a dampener on things so couldnโ€™t do much yesterday. Borrowing the car for the first time today, must drive on the right, must drive on the rightโ€ฆ.

I miss my bike, the 25 year old, 48cm frame steel lump Iโ€™m using to explore the local roads is giving me sore knees.
    Pinno, ืžืœืš ืื™ื“ื™ื•ื˜ ื•ื—ืจื ืžื›ื•ื ืื™
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    'Ning

Not exactly wet here but ridiculously humid.

More WFW.
    Seem to get getting told something by my boss who is telling our customers something different, and not in a good way.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    Moist is the sort of word to describe conditions here today.
    Much to do as usual, run later.
    New minion arrived on site today, all good. Main fitter is ill, not so good.
    Can minions drown in the deep end?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno

Are we talking puddle or Mariana trench?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615
    Well it's sunny here - for now. Did rain a bit overnight though, which is good. Legs survived yesterdays ride which surprised me given we went for a pretty hilly route.

A quiet day in the cave, may nip into town at lunchtime to get a few bits n bobs.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • homers_double
    pinno said:

Err, more than a puddle but nothing massively technical.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    1st day of hols. Been to collect flat pack furniture, collected mini from a sleepover, went to the shop, collecting my mother in a bit, then taking mini for a shoe fitting, then a haircut for me.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Afternoon folks,
    I'm off for the rest of the day, this is the lull before the storm as about to take female child to Brighton. Loaded most of the stuff on Sunday evening so not much more to do before heading south. Later will be the pub as it's Wednesday and I'll be living the bachelor lifestyle for a couple of days.
    Flatpack furniture? Lucky you Bยณ, I've got more of that to look forward to tomorrow evening at the old dear's. But I will get fed in return.
  • beansnikpoh
    Yep, flat pack table and bench and I think there are dining chairs to come. Plus there's beds and sofas being delivered to the new place which will need at least partial assembly.

I don't have to assemble anything just yet. That'll be the first fun-packed weekend in the new place. I doubt I'll get fed either.
  • pinno

Yep, flat pack table and bench and I think there are dining chairs to come. Plus there's beds and sofas being delivered to the new place which will need at least partial assembly.

I don't have to assemble anything just yet. That'll be the first fun-packed weekend in the new place. I doubt I'll get fed either.

You're not expecting VN to cycle all the way there to bail you out when it's got too tricky for you?
  • pinno

pinno said:

Err, more than a puddle but nothing massively technical.
    Pink armbands it is then.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    pinno said:

You're not expecting VN to cycle all the way there to bail you out when it's got too tricky for you?
    Only if I get fed ๐Ÿ˜‚
  • homers_double
    I did buy a flat pack single shelf from Ikea over the weekend.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • beansnikpoh
    pinno said:

I'm a dab hand at flat pack.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Spooky. Currently listening to a Vietnam war soundtrack.
    Pinno, ืžืœืš ืื™ื“ื™ื•ื˜ ื•ื—ืจื ืžื›ื•ื ืื™
  • beansnikpoh
    Off to look at a 7 yr old mini cooper tomorrow. 23k miles. 1.5l petrol engine. Anyone know if they are any good? I can't be @rsed to look, mrs Bยณ wants one, so it's largely irrelevant. They seem ubiquitous round here, a tank and a mini.

It'll be used almost exclusively for blatting along the m3/a303/a358/a39 and same in reverse, so a relatively easy life for a car.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Went foraging after work and made some jam.
    1kg of blackberries only made 2 and a bit jars.

Not sure if it's too early, or if it's the weather but there didn't seem to be as many as previous years, and although there were some big juicy ones most were pretty small and pert.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,975
    edited August 2022

Off to look at a 7 yr old mini cooper tomorrow. 23k miles. 1.5l petrol engine. Anyone know if they are any good? I can't be @rsed to look, mrs Bยณ wants one, so it's largely irrelevant. They seem ubiquitous round here, a tank and a mini.

It'll be used almost exclusively for blatting along the m3/a303/a358/a39 and same in reverse, so a relatively easy life for a car.

Test drive should tell you all you need to know (good or bad). Boot size is small.
    Wifey over rules the above in any case.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659

I had a (slightly older) Cooper S for a while, which was great fun to drive, and surprisingly comfortable for 2 people. Not the quietest thing either - had I kept it Iโ€™ve have looked at fitting more sound insulation.

But as above, boot capacity is pretty small even with seats folded.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Agree with the practicality comments above, so if these trips involve shifting luggage and stuff to and from, get something else.

That said, if you have no say in the matter, there's not much point asking - just get your credit card out and do as you're told ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • beansnikpoh
    Stevo_666 said:

Agree with the practicality comments above, so if these trips involve shifting luggage and stuff to and from, get something else.

That said, if you have no say in the matter, there's not much point asking - just get your credit card out and do as you're told ;)

Luckily not shifting stuff (hiring a van to do that), just people and small bags, it's to protect the mileage on the tank.

Her cash, not mine...
  • sungod

think i notice more bad driving by owners of those obese fake minis than any other vehicle type

even in volcanoland i got close passed by one, very unusual behaviour there, i assumed it was a brit
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Luckily not shifting stuff (hiring a van to do that), just people and small bags, it's to protect the mileage on the tank.

Her cash, not mine...
    I'd just let her get on with it then...
  • pinno
    Until the point where it doesn't work out and it will be all his fault because he never helped in the first instance.
  • homers_double
    MrsHD had a mini convertible before her A class, boot was tiny but there was no real need for a big one as we use my truck most of the time.
    Back seats were tight though.
    She prefered it to the current car for fun and drivability but the merc is better for kids etc.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Until the point where it doesn't work out and it will be all his fault because he never helped in the first instance.

That's our job - to take the blame for anything, whether involved or not. This includes the weather in some cases :)