Adidas Five Tens just not sticky! Any thoughts?

Hi all
Normally a roadie, I bought a gravel bike this year for variety in the summer
I started with my usual clipless pedals but felt really unconfident in these off road so, after much research I purchased some Adidas Five Ten Freerider Pros on the basis of all the reviews about how sticky the soles are and paired them with some decent flat pedals with pins (Hope)
However, really quite surprised to find my feet don't stick where I place them and quite often just slip completely
Am I expecting too much?
Thanks!

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Since Adidas bought out 5.10 the quality of their shoes has gone rapidly down hill. So possibly the rubber Stealth is not as stealthy.
  • webboo
  • Not looked at the Hope pedals but I know that Shimano used to do two different pin lengths, and also the number and placing of the pins has a big effect.
    I have not had a problem with grip from 5:10s with the Shimano, DMR or Nukeproof pedals that I have tried
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Its not as easier as you'd think moving from clipless to flats.
    You will probably have to learn how to weight the pedals properly. ie heels down etc.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited August 2022
    Looking into flat pedal shoes at the moment. Seems like 5.10's had the market to themselves for a long time.

So many alternatives out there now which are said to have better stickier soles, fit, rigidity and even aimed at specific riding styles.

Was set on 5.10's based on reputation but after some research and reviews I'm not so sure.

Second hand stuff seem to hold their value so maybe worth trying out a few alternative brands that might suit you better.
  • webboo
    Have you had a look at Unparallel shoes they are made by the people who were the original 5.10 makers.
    I don’t know about the cycling shoes but they are supposed to have the original lasts for climbing shoes.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446

Hi all
    Normally a roadie, I bought a gravel bike this year for variety in the summer
    I started with my usual clipless pedals but felt really unconfident in these off road so, after much research I purchased some Adidas Five Ten Freerider Pros on the basis of all the reviews about how sticky the soles are and paired them with some decent flat pedals with pins (Hope)
    However, really quite surprised to find my feet don't stick where I place them and quite often just slip completely
    Am I expecting too much?
    Thanks!

This may seem a silly question, but are you using flat pedals with pins? Every reply so far assumes that you are, but if you are new to this you may not be. There are non-SPD pedals that are not actual "flat pedals". The rubber needs something to grab hold of. Pedals like these: (Look at images 3 and 9)
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dmr-vault-v2-exclusive-flat-mtb-pedal/rp-prod202930?gs=1&sku=sku820274&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=CjwKCAjwmJeYBhAwEiwAXlg0AfwIVu7WHO2xdPCGODrHRDUKXTx4WE_q-lV-uyuaKFsB6zMNcbI_HRoCanIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Those pedals just happened to be the first decent picture I found, there are loads of very much cheaper ones that have very similar features.

My first pair of 510's were too grippy for my liking. If I failed to plant my foot in exactly the correct place, it was next to impossible to shuffle my foot into a better position whilst riding, I had to lift my foot completely off and reposition. That is not easy to do when the trail is anything but smooth. My next pair were by Shimano and I found that their sole, while not as overtly grippy as the 510's, suited me very well indeed and I have "stuck" with them (groan!) :p
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804

...all the reviews about how sticky the soles are and paired them with some decent flat pedals with pins (Hope)
    Thanks!

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • steve_sordy
    OOPS! My bad. Dunno how I missed that, it is clear enough. :'(
  • markiegrim
    markiegrim Posts: 136
    thanks all
    So maybe I should look at pin number and placing, but I just followed the Hope installation instructions
    I was wondering if there is some kind of rubbery gunk I can apply to the soles to make them more sticky
    I also fear that the Adidas take over has seen a change to the rubber. Otherwise, I really like the shoes
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Which Hope pedals are you using?
    I have used F20 pedals with 5.10 Freerider and Freerider Pro shoes with no trouble at all.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I had shimano saint pedals and yes was difficult to move sole once foot on pedal due to the good grip
  • webboo
    I remember driving in my 5.10 approach shoes and struggling to adjust my foot on the accelerator pedal.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852

So maybe I should look at pin number and placing, ...

Put all the pins in.

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA said:

So maybe I should look at pin number and placing, ...

Put all the pins in.

Not necessarily the best option. Even pedal manufacturers such as DMR suggest not all pins should be used or are required.
  • steve_sordy
    I remove the centre pin on the top leading edge (both sides). That was always the pin that struck my shin bone when I used to lose my footing two times out of every three trips out. I no longer lose my footing quite as often, but when I do, I just get the hard knock to the shin bone but without the deep laceration that used to accompany it. :'(

I also now never go in harm's way without knee & shin guards, which helps to reduce the agony when the inevitable happens.
  • markiegrim
    markiegrim Posts: 136
    So I use Hope F20 (only flats they do as far as i can see) and all the pins
  • There are two versions of freerider pros. Freerider pros and freerider pro primeblue. By all accounts primeblue aren't that grippy and use a different recycled rubber. The standard freerider pro on the other stick like shit to a blanket.
  • Post-adidas 5-10s I am not convinced about. I've gone over to RideConcepts which I prefer. Tredz are currently having what looks like a fire sale on the RCs if anyone is interested.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited September 2022
    edward.s said:

Post-adidas 5-10s I am not convinced about. I've gone over to RideConcepts which I prefer. Tredz are currently having what looks like a fire sale on the RCs if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the heads up. Just looking at the R.C. Livewire shoes for £46. Seems a great price and they look pretty good too. 👍