Boxing

Must admit I’ve not seen the fight Usyk v Joshua last night, but I have seen a clip of the aftermath, with Joshua’s weird behaviour. Throwing the belts out of the ring looked like pure pantomime, but the address to the crowd was quite uncomfortable to watch. Why did his team let him carry on like that?

Usyk, looked utterly perplexed but handled it well.

Comments

• Have to admit, I didn't mind seeing a bit of passion from Joshua. His image and 'brand' has been micromanged from day one by Eddie Hearn. As a result he has always been a little bland when I suspected there was much more of an edge to him.

The belt thing and getting in Usyk's face was lacking class, but I think Joshua was just bitterly disappointed with the loss and flew off the handle.

I don't really think his team could have done much to stop him, but in a way I am glad it happened and we saw a bit more of his real personality, even though some might find ot distasteful.
  • ‘Me! Me! Me!’ Joshua. Get a grip. You just got smashed by a bloke who’ll be back in a flak jacket at the end of the week in his country that’s getting bombed to bits. He should be ashamed of himself. Absolutely zero respect for the t1t.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,759
    Usyk is an extraordinary individual. The story really should be about him.
    As for AJ, he seems to be showing some remorse after what looked like a total meltdown.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    He's been found guilty of believing his own hype too much IMO.

His corner telling him he was winning when every other commentator was saying the opposite was just weird...

(Disclaimer - I know nothing about boxing and didn't watch it either. Only text updates and tweets... 😁)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    ddraver said:

He's been found guilty of believing his own hype too much IMO.

His corner telling him he was winning when every other commentator was saying the opposite was just weird...

(Disclaimer - I know nothing about boxing and didn't watch it either. Only text updates and tweets... 😁)

BBC commentary had split personality.
    Commentary kept saying how well AJ was doing while the score card had Usyk ahead. 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    Haven’t seen the mini meltdown and don’t really want to as It’s probably uncomfortable to watch.

I’m surprised more boxers don’t go a bit crazy after a result. They’re not losing a game, they’re losing a fight, in public for all to see. With the strict weeks of training, the courage it takes to step in the ring in the first place and knock lumps off each other for 12 rounds, knowing your pride will be irreparably dented should you lose and then be crucified in the media, I think I’d throw a few toys from my pram, so I have sympathy for AJ.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    Usyk sounds interesting.

"They’re not losing a game, they’re losing a fight, in public for all to see."

That's exactly how I felt after losing a darts match. Luckily they took the darts off me immediately it was over.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    edited August 2022
    About AJ... my impression is that he has always been overhyped... for those who remember the Olympics, there was a bit of controversy over his medal... his win over Cammarelle was somewhat controversial outside the UK. I got the feeling as a PRO he beat a lot of names who were at the end of their career. Other than Klitschko, he didn't fight WIlder, he didn't fight Fury... it's almost as if they wanted to preserve his status. I think he would have lost either fight.
    Usyk is not Tyson and he is not Lewis... he is OK, he won't probably make the Hall of Fame.
    The other guy he lost to, was a bit of a joke.
    His career reminds me a bit of Amir Khan... very very promising, made it to the belt, but ultimately disappointing afterwards.
    left the forum March 2023
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    I don't think I'd want to be punched in the face if I was a pugilist. Surely technology is good enough to have virtual pugilism now?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Yep, that's the ticket.
  • He's been found guilty of believing his own hype too much IMO.

There is some truth to that, although AJ is a better boxer than many would suggest. You simply don't get to the level he is at unless you have the ability.

The corner thing was odd. He sacked Rob McCracken his long term trainer after the last fight for the same thing, but it was more one of the other guys in his corner during the first Usyk fight misleading him, who Joshua then retained for this fight. Suggests that he prefers his corner telling him he is doing better than he is.
  • Usyk is not Tyson and he is not Lewis... he is OK, he won't probably make the Hall of Fame.

Usyk will make the HoF on first selection Ugo, he is widely regarded as pound for pound top 3 in the world (I would put him as no. 1 personally) and one of the most technically gifted boxers of his generation. You can't really compare him to Tyson and/or Lewis as he is a natural Cruiserweight, but from a skill level, I would suggest he is far more talented than either of them.

Olympic and world champion with a 330-15 amateur record, undisputed professional Cruiserweight world champion after 15 fights (he won his first world title after only 10 fights). Cruiserweight is one of the toughest divisions in boxing, Usyk cleaned up the entire division and nobody (including 5 world champions) laid a glove on him.

He is slightly better than 'OK' ;)
  • ugo.santalucia
    He is a cruiser though... don't think he can beat Fury. Cruiser has always been a bit of a "no mans land" division.

Bottom line, in a different age, AJ wouldn't have got a belt. He got there because Klitschko was at the end, Fury doesn't take himself too seriously for a number of reasons... and frankly there is no one else around. If we are still here talking about Chisora as a potential match for Fury, it means the division is really really poor.
  • Agreed, he is a cruiser, regardless of weight, he is still an exceptionally talented fighter though.

I really could not call Usyk vs Fury. All logic would suggest that Fury as a natural heavy, with his speed, power and 'awkward' style would be a step too far, but I think Usyk is good enough to work him out.

I would say though that Usyk is the only fighter left in the division capable of beating Fury and Fury is the only fighter capable of beating Usyk, and for that reason I hope Fury comes out of retirement and agrees to it (I think he will, he can't seem to turn down a proper challenge).
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I think part of it, for the non-boxers at least, is that AJ looks so much more the part than a lot of his opponents. A handsome chiselled Adonis "shouldn't" lose to a hairy farmer...

Interesting to hear the people know what they're talking about praising Usyk so much. That has not come across to the british non-fan...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ugo.santalucia
    ddraver said:

I think part of it, for the non-boxers at least, is that AJ looks so much more the part than a lot of his opponents. A handsome chiselled Adonis "shouldn't" lose to a hairy farmer...

Interesting to hear the people know what they're talking about praising Usyk so much. That has not come across to the british non-fan...

True, in the same way as Wilder seems an invincible statue. Fury is very fat, but also very very big and scary. Equally, Ruiz is a small ball of lard, and if 50% of your body is fat, you can't be much of an athlete. I can't believe AJ managed to lose by a morbidly obese short guy... it's just ridiculous...
  • luxrebecca397
    luxrebecca397 Posts: 1
    edited March 2023
    It was definitely a strange sight to see Anthony Joshua throw his belts into the crowd after his fight with Usyk. From what I've seen, it looks like he was pretty emotional, and the crowd's reaction didn't help. It's understandable why his team let him carry on, as it was a very intense moment, and they probably wanted to give him the space to express his feelings. It's a great reminder that boxing is an emotional sport and, as the saying goes, "protect yourself at all times." That's why it's so important for beginners to equip themselves with the right gear to stay safe and protected in the ring. You can read reviews about the best gloves for beginner boxing to know what are the safest ones.