La Vuelta 2022 - Stage 3:- Breda - Breda, 193.5km ***Spoilers***

Stage 3: Breda - Breda, 193.5km

Sunday, August 21, 2022
Start Time. 13-15CET.

It's another day for the sprinters on the circuitous loop around Bedra, twisting and turning through villages. The biggest challenge facing the riders won't be the 500 metres long climb That has a maximum gradient at 5%, but dodging the vast quantity traffic furniture Holland has to offer, on an almost entirely flat route. Hardly worth posting the profile, but....

The last pro-peloton finish in Breda took place in 2015, when André Greipel won the 2nd stage of the Eneco Tour.
One thing this stage does offer, is a rather unique neutralised zone, as the riders clip into their pedals in the Breda Castle, but clip out of the pedals before walking through the Great Church, also known as the Church of Our Lady.
The start is given at the south side of town before a counter clockwise loop leads the riders though the Noord-Brabant province.
The race also makes a bizarre entry into Belgian territory in Baarle-Hertog, the municipality that mixes Dutch territory and Belgian enclaves. A relic from the first World War, the international line is so jumbled that it runs through some buildings, including the town hall where a meeting room is partly delineated by a bright strip denoting the Dutch-Belgian border.

Final Kms.
La Vuelta re-enters Breda from the west, via the Ettensebaan and Kapittelweg, the peloton heads towards the city centre for a likely sprint finish at the Chassé Theatre.

What to expect.
Crashes unfortunately.
The classification riders will be crossing themselves, hoping to get out of Holland in one piece, while the sprinters will be the opposite side of the coin, throwing caution (and probably common sense) out the window, in search of a win over such favourable parcour.

Breda

Population 150,118
Breda is a city and municipality in the southern part of the Netherlands, located in the province of North Brabant. The name derived from brede Aa ('wide Aa' or 'broad Aa') and refers to the confluence of the rivers Mark and Aa.[7] Breda has 184,762 inhabitants on 1 December 2021.
As a fortified city, it was of strategic military and political significance.
In July 1581, during the Eighty Years' War, Breda was captured in a surprise attack and siege by Spanish troops then under the command of Claudius van Barlaymont. Although the city had surrendered upon the condition that it would not be plundered, the troops vented their fury upon the inhabitants. In the resulting mayhem, known as Haultpenne's Fury, over 500 citizens were killed.
After a ten-month siege in 1624–25, the city again surrendered to the Spaniards, now led by Spinola; the event was immortalized by Diego Velázquez.

Redhead Day was a festival that took place each first weekend of September. The two-day festival is a gathering of people with natural red hair, but is also focused on art related to the colour red. Activities during the festival are lectures, workshops and demonstrations. The festival attracts attendance from 20 countries and was free due to sponsorship of the local government.

Hollandse Nieuwe or Haring
Almost a symbol of Holland by itself, the raw herring is a very popular dish. Don’t be afraid of the fact that it’s raw, because it’s really good and covered with onion. And it’s not really raw. The herring has been gutted and salted to preserve it.

Erwtensoep or Snert
Almost every country on the planet has some version of a pea soup. The Dutch version was added to the list of Dutch intangible cultural heritages in 2019.
Traditionally eaten in winter, the Snert or Erwtensoep is a really thick pea soup made with split peas. The Erwtensoep is usually made with celeriac, leeks, onions, carrots, potato and pork meat. Just before the soup is served, thin slices of a smoked sausage called rookworst is added to it. Bacon, butter, cheese, or roggerbrood (rye bread) is served alongside.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    There aren't many stages that you can add a trance track to the stage profile, so here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErimeAUyCPw
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • What a stupid idea to use the church for a quick walk through before the roll out proper.
    Although, Orla was wrong to say that religion has nothing to do with the Vuelta.
    On the contrary, it being a Spanish race and given how often they visit places of religious significance, (last year the ITT depart from Burgos cathederal for instance) I'd say that they are very closely tied.
  • I suppose it’s too much to ask but it would be nice if they could provide the odd graphic.
    The Vuelta really is the cut price GT.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135

I suppose it’s too much to ask but it would be nice if they could provide the odd graphic.
    The Vuelta really is the cut price GT.

Yesterday’s ‘KoM’ took the biscuit for amateurness. The riders didn’t seem to know where the line was and the camera angle was a low shot from behind the break.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Good to see TdG getting his break legs on . Gotta push a wheelchair for an elderly individual . Catch up later
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Michael Woods abandons….
  • Pross
    Woods abandons following what looked a minor crash. He cut his eye so presumably some concussion concerns.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Mike Woods abandoned after a crash.
  • From the look of the flags there’s a fair bit of wind blowing up.
    Possible echelon conditions even.

• Pross
    Yep definitely picking up, not sure if there’s the will though. Might create a bit of panic and nervousness though creating some tumbles.
  • Pross
    I have to go out so be prepared for crosswind action very soon.

Thought that massive climb might shatter the race but no such luck.
  • 3 Ineos riders caught up on a roundabout.
    Carapaz, Sivakov and Rodriguez
  • thejimmymethod
    thejimmymethod Posts: 458
    edited August 2022
    Magic lead out from Van Poppel. Bennett wins, Pedersen, McLay
  • Two mirror stages, one winner.
    Even the results were almost identical.
  • mididoctors
    I saw the last 8 k but not the ineos crash . What happened?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Bennet very strong ...van poppel was like a booster stage of a rocket ...came from nowhere
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

Wasn't caught on camera. Just a brief picture of the 3 at the side of the road
  • mididoctors
    JimD666 said:

Wasn't caught on camera. Just a brief picture of the 3 at the side of the road

Thanks

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    I hope the Dutch enjoyed their stages.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    From a TV fan viewpoint I think the Hungary start for the Giro was the best this year. But I prefer the tours without these starts and rest days. Must be a nightmare for the logistics too.