Woman’s endurance bike recommendations?

Missus seano is very keen to enter the world of road biking. Nothing too aggressive. £1000 ish budget with a bit of leeway. EBay is an option as she doesn’t want to wait months until her size is in stock. Ideally 30mm + max tyre clearance for the occasional light gravel. Not overly keen on a slightly heavier hybrid as she would like to be able to hold her own on climbs etc.

My list so far:
Trek domane
Canyon endurace
Cannondale synapse
Liv avail at/advance
Giant defy

Any other possibles for the list? Experiences?

Thanks.
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049
    edited August 2022
    Something a bit different, if the geo fits.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/DBCL22636405/on-one-free-ranger-sram-rival-1-carbon-gravel-bike---small---brown-and-orange#DBCL22636405

If it's not just me, if you look on the PX site on Android mobile, a tab down the screen base invites you to get 10% off your first order, by providing email and mobile number.

Must admit I've looked at that link myself a few times to buy for me, the 52cm seat tube suit my short legs, reach is 14mm less than my Cube Attain GTC, but that could be sorted with a 120-130mm stem to give similar setup.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644
    Ooh, I like that. I was thinking of gravel but most seemed more expensive.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    If you are looking at gravel bikes then the Merlin ones look pretty good value for money, good range of sizes showing as in stock too. I've had my eye on one of these for a while:

https://merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g2x-grx-gravel-bike-2022-197443.html

My MRS has a Canyon Endurace CF btw and really likes it, I'm guessing it'll cost a fair bit more than the Merlin for similar spec even 2nd hand?
  • turbo_hamster
    turbo_hamster Posts: 122
    edited September 2022
    The fit is essential. I went to an independent bike fitter for a recommendation. I had a list of essentials and "nice to have"s, and he recommended the Canyon Endurace. Bought it, love it. The fit is great, as I am short and this bike is supplied with 650b wheels in the smaller sizes. The brake levers are close enough to the bars for my stumpy fingers. There have been drawbacks to this bike (note it comes in a range of materials and specs), mainly the tubeless ready wheels. They are great most of the time, but I had to swap from "tubeless ready with tubes in" to actually tubeless. Can't get the tyre off to fix a flat! Set up as tubeless, sometimes a leak doesn't seal itself and this is infuriating. Also there is practically no choice of tubeless tyre in this size. But the bike is a great ride, with excellent brakes.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644

The fit is essential. I went to an independent bike fitter for a recommendation. I had a list of essentials and "nice to have"s, and he recommended the Canyon Endurace. Bought it, love it. The fit is great, as I am short and this bike is supplied with 650b wheels in the smaller sizes. The brake levers are close enough to the bars for my stumpy fingers. There have been drawbacks to this bike (note it comes in a range of materials and specs), mainly the tubeless ready wheels. They are great most of the time, but I had to swap from "tubeless ready with tubes in" to actually tubeless. Can't get the tyre off to fix a flat! Set up as tubeless, sometimes a leak doesn't seal itself and this is infuriating. Also there is practically no choice of tubeless tyre in this size. But the bike is a great ride, with excellent brakes.

Brilliant, great to hear. My wife received her ride to work certificate today and is about to buy a Canyon Endurance. I have the same so hopefully she loves it as much as we do.