Super Saturday thread

Local 5k race - not yet fixed but agreed to do it with friends last night and obviously want to crush them.

A few jobs and then probably the local as we avoid the house as the youngest is having a party.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    'ning

feels like a nippy start, gilet i think, august, brrrr, at least it's bright

ride cafes laze bubbly outing

crush them without mercy tlw
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    'Ning

15 degrees here, back to scorchio. Maybe.

8 hours sleep but feel like I could do with another 8 hours :tired_face:

Off for a gentle bike ride with a friend to check out some cafes, assuming the puncture fairy didn't visit overnight.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615
    Legs survived yesterday's Ide Hill/Toys Hill climb. May try a run as recommended by the physio. In the meantime, drop junior to the station for a day in London (there are a few trains running), head out with hounds then get supplies.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    5k ain't enough furlongs for that horse.

It's pouring. Supposed to brighten up later but when is 'later' ?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    It was nippyish at 7. Warmed up though. Basking on my front porch while I finish my bottle. Found a group of 5 who were going my way at my pace for about half of my ride, which is always nice. Joined in, did my pulls. Makes it much easier, but for someone who rides solo, it feels like cheating.
  • pinno
    But a conducive group of individuals can be the best bike rides. Also, you can go a lot further.

There are so many cyclists here locally. I see them regularly and it would be great if you could get them together. However, there are 5 or 6 individuals whom I could name starting with c.unt 1 and c.unt 2 etc who will frequent a group ride and who will dictate the pace, the route and who will take over. It has happened all too frequently and people end up being pi$$ed off and the cohesion quickly fabricates.

Ironically, c.unts 1 to 6 ended up in a little clique and then due to their ego's, no longer talk to each other after multiple fall outs and no longer ride together.

If I could assemble some strong enough people who would be confident enough to tell them to either roll with the collective or f.uck off...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,199
    Just do one's own thang.

'Super' Saturday? It's like effing November here, blowing and wet, not forecasting to back off and let the sun glimpse out until late afternoon. Erse. An indoors day beckons. Erse again, I wanted to go for a pedal pootle. Watch a flat Vuelta stage with beaucoup de Wittermouth? Guess I could mute him.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,975
    pinno said:

But a conducive group of individuals can be the best bike rides. Also, you can go a lot further.

There are so many cyclists here locally. I see them regularly and it would be great if you could get them together. However, there are 5 or 6 individuals whom I could name starting with c.unt 1 and c.unt 2 etc who will frequent a group ride and who will dictate the pace, the route and who will take over. It has happened all too frequently and people end up being pi$$ed off and the cohesion quickly fabricates.

Ironically, c.unts 1 to 6 ended up in a little clique and then due to their ego's, no longer talk to each other after multiple fall outs and no longer ride together.

If I could assemble some strong enough people who would be confident enough to tell them to either roll with the collective or f.uck off...

This was my exact experience too. Less so than with clubs but still.
    This is why I now tend to ride solo or meet up with a couple of oldies for a pootle & coffee.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    I would have no hesitation doing a century in a group. Solo? I'm working on it.
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

Easy. Chuck in a cafe stop and it's simply 2x50 miles. You do need to enjoy your own company though. 😉 My record is a 3 stop 170 miles.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • sungod
    cold, gloomygrey, and more bad drivers in the last couple of hours than in the previous four weeks

plus whichever stupid council it is (camden i suspect) has installed rows of cyclist impaling posts on yet another road, making life more unpleasant and dangerous for both drivers and, especially, cyclists

increasingly considering relocating somewhere warmer and saner
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Easy. Chuck in a cafe stop and it's simply 2x50 miles. You do need to enjoy your own company though. 😉 My record is a 3 stop 170 miles.
    I have done quite a few but that was before.
    [...and yes I do enjoy being solo out in the sticks]
  • beansnikpoh
    sungod said:

cold, gloomygrey, and more bad drivers in the last couple of hours than in the previous four weeks

plus whichever stupid council it is (camden i suspect) has installed rows of cyclist impaling posts on yet another road, making life more unpleasant and dangerous for both drivers and, especially, cyclists

Are they the "segregation" posts for cycle lanes? I hate them. I discovered the other day that they fold over if driven over.

Cycle lanes suck balls unless you're an inept cyclist, and even then they suck balls because they instil a false sense of security. I've seen 2 right hooks through queuing traffic, and more left hooks than I can shake a stick at.
  • sungod

sungod said:

Are they the "segregation" posts for cycle lanes? I hate them. I discovered the other day that they fold over if driven over.

Cycle lanes suck balls unless you're an inept cyclist, and even then they suck balls because they instil a false sense of security. I've seen 2 right hooks through queuing traffic, and more left hooks than I can shake a stick at.
    yep, segregating lanes, rendering them too narrow to pass with frequent need to veer out for bus stops/parking/loading areas, idiots using them as running tracks, littered with glass and other debris as the road sweeping vehicles can no longer get to them, grrr

spend the money on fixing the pot holes, sagging trenches, etc.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    My record ride cycling road bikes on and off since the age of 12 is a might 40 miles 😎 Pretty pathetic and shameful. Averaging 80 miles plus a week for the last few months so the fitness is there.

Armed with a new garmin and hoping to give the pesky family the slip so I can ease my shame in the near future.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    sungod said:

sungod said:

yep, segregating lanes, rendering them too narrow to pass with frequent need to veer out for bus stops/parking/loading areas, idiots using them as running tracks, littered with glass and other debris as the road sweeping vehicles can no longer get to them, grrr

spend the money on fixing the pot holes, sagging trenches, etc.
    Don’t have any experience cycling in other uk cities but London roads are absolute poop.
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

All city riding is pants. Feels like you've got a target on you saying hit me. Even smaller city's like Derby are pants.

Think of City riding as like mountain biking, except the obstacles are made of metal or concrete instead of wood or rock. Makes it more fun :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

My record ride cycling road bikes on and off since the age of 12 is a might 40 miles 😎 Pretty pathetic and shameful. Averaging 80 miles plus a week for the last few months so the fitness is there.

Armed with a new garmin and hoping to give the pesky family the slip so I can ease my shame in the near future.

I know I've done about 55 miles tops as I've done the London - Brighton a few times. Otherwise I don't really care - just ride for as long as I feel like riding. You don't get any gold stars for going further or faster than anyone else :)

That said, I am going to do more non commute riding from now on as the roads and lanes round here are great B) So much better than the 'burbs.
  • pinno
    oxoman said:

All city riding is pants. Feels like you've got a target on you saying hit me. Even smaller city's like Derby are pants.

City's - in the UK.

Stockholm was brilliant. Couldn't imagine cycling in Rome or Paris.
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2022
    pinno said:

oxoman said:

City's - in the UK.

Stockholm was brilliant. Couldn't imagine cycling in Rome or Paris.
    Nah, think of it like MTB'ing like I said above. Just requires a different mindset from normal roadie stuff (and some 28c tyres). That said, agree with you on Paris and Rome - all those bloody cobbles.
  • thistle_
    edited August 2022
    Max distance: 105 miles on a sportive back in 2009 when I was fit. Just riding solo I've managed 95 miles.

Those barrier things are useless because they stop you riding round the cycle lane sized potholes.

C.unt.x dictating the pace: wait until it's his/her turn on the front then make a cheeky turn left and let them go solo.
    Small group/couple of mates, cafe, dcking about having fun on bikes, that's how it should be.
  • thistle_
    oxoman said:

I did the Midland Monster at 106 miles prior to Bat flu and ended up with a gaggle of klingons

For a moment I thought you meant people riding in fancy dress, which would have been quite fun.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083
    150 miles is my max, 5 days in a row doing JOGLE

Fancy a decent ride - haven’t done one for a while

Crushed the 5k - but didn’t get a pair of winners sunglasses this time 😢
  • seanoconn
    6th anniversary with current wifey. Had a nice meal with the family and was presented with a well deserved medal 🥇 for outstanding bravery in the presence of the enemy. 😃

• pblakeney
    oxoman said:

tlw1 said:

I fancy doing jogle or lejog but unsupported and riding till unable to...
    That's how I'd do it. Ride till 16:00 and figure out the next town to stop at as a finish point (could be 17:00, could be 21:00) then find a B&B. Did the SW like that and it worked well.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Evening folks, busy day of doing stuff for the old dear. Got the arch out of storage and pit it in her back garden, it's an unusual thing.

Then moved some more furniture and assembled a ridiculously complicated bed for her. Now home and having a cup of tea.
    Longest ride I've done is a little over 140 miles. Wombledon Common to Brighton and back taking in a few hills on the way. Organised by audax types but not too many people, ride in a small group and three organised food stops. All very civilised.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    edited August 2022
    oxoman said:

Evening folks, busy day of doing stuff for the old dear. Got the arch out of storage and pit it in her back garden, it's an unusual thing.

Then moved some more furniture and assembled a ridiculously complicated bed for her. Now home and having a cup of tea.
    Longest ride I've done is a little over 140 miles. Wombledon Common to Brighton and back taking in a few hills on the way. Organised by audax types but not too many people, ride in a small group and three organised food stops. All very civilised.

That an old tractor tyre and springs etc. Certainly different.
    One side mechanical stuff, springs, etc, other side ceramic. This picture shows the other side. It's over 2 metres tall and definitely different, I like it, as does the old dear. She bought it off an art student years ago.

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083

Text from a mate 😂
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2022
    oxoman said:

pblakeney said:

oxoman said:

tlw1 said:

I fancy doing jogle or lejog but unsupported and riding till unable to...
    That's how I'd do it. Ride till 16:00 and figure out the next town to stop at as a finish point (could be 17:00, could be 21:00) then find a B&B. Did the SW like that and it worked well.
    I was thinking bivvy bag and solar charger for phone and lights if required. Definitely travelling minimalist.
    I'd suggest that a credit card is more minimalist than a bivvy. 😉
    I get a shower and a cooked breakfast too. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • beansnikpoh
    Nice afternoon with friends. Grilled some burgers.

MiL over tomorrow. Nice bit of pork belly to go in the oven.

Recovery ride probably on the peloton.