Modernising/replacing 2009 3x9 Groupset

I currently have a 2009 Trek Fuel EX8 with the following kit;
Shimano SLX M660 44/32/22 crank
Shimano SLX SL front derailleur
SRAM PG970 11-32, 9 speed cassette
Shimano Deore XT "Shadow" rear derailleur
Shimano SLX SL shifters

What would be the most suitable way to replace/upgrade/modernise as all i'm seeing is 2x11 and 1x12 groupsets, nothing of a 3x9 anymore?

I've been out of the game for a number of years due to family and children appearing but i'm slowly getting back into regular riding and noticing the wear and tear in the running gear. I've swapped out like-for-like before but i'm realising it's no longer as widely available as it once was!

Thanks for any help!
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1x is the way to go, once you try it you won't look back.
    For that age bike I wouldn't go 1x12, seems a bit over the top.
    Options
    1x9 using mostly current parts, wider ratio cassette, single NW chainring on your cranks, the mech will work up to a 40T at the rear, larger if you fit a hanger extender.
    1x10 using existing cranks with an NW ring, you could even use the current mech (as above) if you use Ultegra/Tiagra flat bar shifters
    1x11, using existing cranks and all the wear parts new, ring, mech, cassette, shifters.

My 2013 Whyte is running 1x11 using all 'pre-loved' parts (new chain) but in pretty much new condition and cost me £110. Mostly XT parts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.