looking for a new cycling app

Last winter I used Rouvy and I do like it, but I also think I got the most out of it and I probably need to try something different this winter. Don't want Zwift, far too videogamey for me. I was thinking RGT might be the answer? I like the idea of being able to upload GPX files of my hill climb races and time trials... as well as local climbs in Italy
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Not sure if it would play with your trainer but Tacx does that too.
    It's been a few years since I tried it but I think it relies on Google maps for the video.

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/696770
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    I am on a Wahoo, so it seems naturally leaning towards RGT...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    edited August 2022
    Yes to RGT.

I don't sub anymore, and with commuting can't really find the time to use it, but the magic roads are excellent, and I can only imagine with the Wahoo funding it will only get better.

Have heard good things about the System training as well - should TR ever jack my annual sub up, I may well migrate across to Wahoo/RGT.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    RGT for deferz. Free version OK, paid sub awesome.
    Needs more users in the environment but I've been in it since beta (as was in Zwift) and it is by far the better of the two.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    I used Sufferfest for several years, which was bought by WAHOO a while back, to become SYSTM.
    Strangely, I had trouble with my laptop / bluetooth working with the WAHOO RGT app - even thought it worked with their SYSTM app and now Rouvy.
    It might just be a random issue for me, but it was most annoying.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    The Tacx (Garmin) Training app has plenty of good filmed road rides, at all levels. The video quality is pretty good I find.

Allows you to upload GPS files to ride. Has workouts for power/slope, customisable.

EDIT: Just seen you are on a Wahoo... I think the Tacx app is for their trainers only, not compatible with any others. (I use a Neo2)

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Bkool. Gives you video routes, 3D simulations of real routes, or at its most basic a map view of a real route. You can upload your own, for private or public use I think, and the have both structured workouts and instructor-led sessions.
    You can create events to ride with others, like on Zwift, but with a basic representation of the other riders on the route - no fancy avatars or augmented reality.
  • I have downloaded Wahoo RGT, but there is no way to make it work without upgrading to premium... or at least accepting the 14 day free trial... is it still a free platform in its basic form?
  • I believe as it's now part of Wahoo's training app you have to pay the standard Wahoo subscription and RGT is included within it, or take the free trial first?
  • gethinceri
    No, Wahoo RGT still has, and will continue to have, free access.
    The best route to support on this, and any other queries is via the Facebook group here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/415319683370033
  • yellowv2 said:

I believe as it's now part of Wahoo's training app you have to pay the standard Wahoo subscription and RGT is included within it, or take the free trial first?

Yes, once I accepted the free trial it then unlocked... however, the web is still full of stuff about it being a free App, so I am a bit puzzled... anyway... I've done a ride, it seems nice enough and easy to use... lots of people I know are on it, judging by the Strava segments. Ultimately, it's down to which one makes me work the hardest... I need to try a workout and a race. Today was a decent workout, but half hearted, as I had my Moderna shot this morning and didn't want to overdo it... still managed a normalised power around 240W, so quite decent

https://www.strava.com/activities/7874345079
  • gethinceri
    IT HAS A FREE SUBSCRIPTION.
  • Ok. my mistake then. I'm not an RGT subscriber just what I thought having read the wahoo app. Which I have by default having been a Sufferfest subscriber.
  • IT HAS A FREE SUBSCRIPTION.

If only it worked… I installed it twice, tried several times… basically the activity prompted a request to go premium, if skipped, it went back to the activity page in a never ending loop. There was no way out, until I activated the two week trial