Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083
    Work meh

Not helped by a decent boozy weekend
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    edited August 2022
    The eternal shenanigans of Casa Pinno + Beans update.

Heard a bit of a rumble and also heard some Tawny owls hooting at each other. It was seriously muggy so I got up, sat in the conservatory and with cupped hands, hooted back at them.
    Beans was fascinated but not as fascinated as Brutus the Spaniel was - he thought I was a magician when I did this; head cocked listening to the genuine article and then alternating with me, wide eyed wonder.

Then suddenly - sheet lightening... count the interval to the rumble. 13km away... then more a few minutes later and the interval (9 seconds) and then rain. Then the interval got down to 5 so it was really loud.

Beans wasn't in the slightest bit bothered. He disappeared into the car port and brought me a mouse, it was very dead. I chucked it. He brought it back. I chucked it further. He brought it back. I chucked it over the hedge and he brought it back some time later (or so I thought). I went to pick it up by the tail and it was alive 'cos the mouse on meter repeat was definitely deaded. Gave me a bit of a shock (i'll always recall the pain when a mouse bit through the flesh on the first finger of my left hand). The mouse played dead for 5 seconds - which saved it's life.
    So he must have found another in that space of time. Mouse got deposited through the cat flap whilst I grabbed the squirming, protesting Beans long enough to give the rodent a head start and thinking time for Beans allowed me to grab him. He could have reversed and gone through the open doors. Scoreline: Pinno 1 Beans 52.
    All this happening in a the middle of a thunderstorm in the small hours, patio doors wide open for the show.

Now it's just dull, drizzling and grey - back to mediocre meh and (heap big sigh accompanied by mental and physical deflation), shopping.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    edited August 2022
    Cheers Pinno, I do enjoy these instalments.

I could imagine it being made into a quirky animated Netflix series, The adventures of Pinno ’n’ Beans. The episode ‘Into the fields and beyond’ would be my fav so far…

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232

Aeroporto beer, the return home!
    I need to hit the training and diet after this for an upcoming 2023 event.
    Clue - Ferrous.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615
    Up way too early to pedal into town, was tired first thing but feeling a bit better for it now. The Kingdom of Far Far Away is on their collective worker bee summer hols so less annoying stuff to deal with. Had a quick catch up with recruiters keep to keep their hand in, my main contact brought along a very glam assistant which was a bonus.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Wet day again, showery all day. Dentist first up, which was less fun than usual - quite an achievement. Spent almost an hour with anaesthetic, drills, files, and assorted other implements to finally announce that, nope, he couldn't fix it properly. Bodged up a temporary and referred me to another "expert". At least he had the good grace to not bill me! So, I now get the joys of really professional fee-gougers...

Home, glued up some boards to make a table-top, left to cure overnight. Turbo ride to end the day, on a really rather lovely road somewhere in Norway - "Lustrafjord" - I'd love to ride or drive one day. As if.

@homers_double You're bonkers if you are planning an Ironman. I've a friend/former client/colleague who was the most unlikely triathlete (tall-ish, and *big* build woman!). She somehow managed to train and race while holding down a very high profile CIO gig in a tough industry, and qualified for the race in Germany, for her "holiday".

Was happy to finish and tick that goal off her bucket list. She's now quit all that and bought an e-MTB... lol
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    The curious incident of the dog in the car park.

Packed shopping with Mrs P. Got in the car contemplating a custard doughnut as compensation for this necessary event.

A woman comes up to me and says she's locked out of her car. The dog had somehow locked it whilst defending the vehicle against the army of people going back and forward. Shorty had noticed the dog jumping about.

I got to the car and thankfully, the dog was friendly and the front windows were down a couple of inches (5cm in new money). My arms only got so far. The keys were on the seat. Tricky being tall and slim I figured, would reach the keys but she's very wary of dogs. On more than one occasion whilst out walking, she seen a dog and climbed up a tree.
    Couldn't reach anyway.
    In all this, the dog is happy but very animated and i'm concerned he's going to knock the keys off the seat and i'll have no chance. I get Shorty to go the other side of the car and stroke the dog to keep him occupied. She's content in her role.

I look around for a stick. I ask the owner to ask someone inside for a coat hanger. I wonder around the car park and right next to my car is an oversized white paper clip. How fortuitous. I bend it into a hook. I tie this to some narrow plastic box strapping I found from the bin near the entrance. Hooked keys at 2nd attempt. Staff member arrives with a plastic pink coat hanger.
    Woman was very very grateful. Don't know why she left the keys in the car in the first place.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,199
    Are you making up these tales Pinno? 😉

This is a seriously CBA Monday for me. Cannot summon enthusiasm for anything. Write off the day, plan an early night, reboot.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    pinno said:

The curious incident of the dog in the car park.

Oh, a spin-off series. They're never normally as good as the original.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Are you making up these tales Pinno? 😉

No.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,975
    A personal car lock tale that left me with 2 questions.

Back in the day with old style locks I locked myself out. I didn't know how to get in and spotted a police station before seeing any garages. Went in to ask for directions. It was suggested that I went to the dry cleaners to get a coat hanger from them and let myself in, which I did, but was left pondering.....
    Why did the police assume that I could break into a car? (I didn't know that I could.)
    Why did nobody report me breaking into a car in a busy car park?

Another tale.

Old dearie in a cafe having a right panic as her dog was locked in the car and her fob just wouldn't open any of the doors.
    "Have you tried using the key?" Oh....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Evening folks, busy day in the orifice with reasonable wobble there and back. Immediate boss and beautiful assistant are back from their respective holidays at least, back to the usual level of shitshow rather than shitshow².
    Breaking into cars isn't nearly as hard as it should be.
  • pinno
    Finally finished the Merc and it's up for sale:

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    pinno said:

Pinno's stories

So

Don't leave dogs in cars, even if it's not hot.

Pinno's taught a cat to play fetch, but the cat's worked out it doesn't have to bring the same mouse back to win, just any mouse.

:smiley:

• thistle_
    edited August 2022
    Afternoon

Random day here. Went out to conquer the last two Marilyns in North Wales and just about suceeded.

First one I set up shop on the top in very humid conditions, the wind dropped and I got swarmed on by flying ants to the point where I was struggling to see because they were on my eyes, they were getting in my mouth and they were all over my kit so had to run around for a few minutes until the wind picked up again. The buzzing was incredible, like being inside a substation.
    Second one was uneventful apart from the layby smelling like a urinal, badly. Don't know what had been going on there over the weekend.

Got invited round for coffee and a chat by a guy down the road which was nice. Then went for a swim in the sea before getting some chips and coming home. :smile:

Sun was going down so diverted up to the top of the hill and set up radio for the local group chat. A car full of lads parked up in the next layby on the road, turned the stereo up and had a rave in the middle of the road for 10 minutes. Then turned round and went back down.

A record equalling 4 ticks removed from various parts of me this evening :neutral:
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

How much will you pay someone to take it?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    thistle_ said:

pinno said:

Pinno's stories

So

Pinno's taught a cat to play fetch, but the cat's worked out it doesn't have to bring the same mouse back to win, just any mouse.

He's worked out the cat flap too but only in one direction: in but not out.

Marilyn = Munroe ?
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

So you have learnt that 2nd hand Mercs don't fetch much.
  • thistle_
    pinno said:

thistle_ said:

pinno said:

Pinno's stories

So

He's worked out the cat flap too but only in one direction: in but not out.

Marilyn = Munroe ?
    Similar idea but it's based on prominence not absolute height - so all the sticky out lumps with a drop of more than 150m to the next one.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    pinno said:

Well I think it looks very nice. 👍 Good job Pinno
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Only some ;) I put your reg into the Parkers used car price website and it declined to give a value. I guess they're being sympathetic :p
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

Well I think it looks very nice. 👍 Good job Pinno
    Agreed - quite like that……
  • pinno
    edited August 2022
    Thanks guys.

It's almost mint. I gave it a ceramic coat yesterday but due to the dullness of the weather and the poor BR forum resolution, the image is poor as the car is pretty glossy.
    I'll post a link when the Car and classic ad goes live and you'll see.
    oxoman said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Double the value and fill the fuel tank. Cut the top off and it's a cheap skip. 🤭😉. Round by me the local Indian population have them as wkend cars and pious,s for wkday work cars.
    Knock a couple of holes in the floor* of the boot (a hammer and nail is good), fill the boot up with water and drive around the garden to water it.

*This is actually incorrect and pointless. Post '98 Chrysler take over Mercs will soon develop holes.