SRAM cassette tool issues…

Hi all, I’ve just got myself a s/h Merida lite road bike, it’s clearly not had a lot of tlc so I’ve stripped it down and cleaned it up, while I was cleaning the rear wheel bearings I was keen to remove the cassette and give it a good degrease, but the cassette tool I have will not fit the SRAM cassette, I was under the impression it should! My existing ice tool has been used on many bike cassettes before but all mtb.

Can anyone advise if there is a different tool, or could the cassette lock ring be damaged and maybe I need to give the tool some fine adjustment help with a hammer?.

Another thing I noticed when searching for help is most posts seem to think the cassette is a PG1070 but mine is stamped OG1070.

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers
Martin

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    It is the same tool, so some percussive maintenance to help it into the splines should work. OG (open glide) cassettes are an older design from Sram where the cassette had missing teeth to help shifting.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    "

It is the same tool, so some percussive maintenance to help it into the splines should work. OG (open glide) cassettes are an older design from Sram where the cassette had missing teeth to help shifting.

"percussive maintenance ".... I love that. Must remember that for the future 😉

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    It could be that the inside of the cassette tool is quite shallow and it's bottoming out on the end of the axle. Worth checking before hammering.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Could be that the tool is landing on the nut.
    Not sure how to resolve if so.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ok chaps that’s really helpful, I’ll check out today and investigate more, if it’s the right tool I can see what the issue is and sort, with my now renamed “percussive mallet” 👍😂😬

This does lead me to asking if the OP cassette should be swapped out for a better one, it’s 10 speed, I’ve only taken the bike out a few times and didn’t feel it was a problem other that the chain catching on the front derailleur when in the 2 big rings on the rear.

Cheers for helpful advice.
    Martin
  • me-109 said:

It could be that the inside of the cassette tool is quite shallow and it's bottoming out on the end of the axle. Worth checking before hammering.

This is what I think may be happening ,sure I've read it somewhere
  • Ok chaps that’s really helpful, I’ll check out today and investigate more, if it’s the right tool I can see what the issue is and sort, with my now renamed “percussive mallet” 👍😂😬

This does lead me to asking if the OP cassette should be swapped out for a better one, it’s 10 speed, I’ve only taken the bike out a few times and didn’t feel it was a problem other that the chain catching on the front derailleur when in the 2 big rings on the rear.

Cheers for helpful advice.
    Martin

Does your tool have a spline that seats in the middle?
    If it does I think it's tge Park FR5.2 that is possibly the solution
  • Over the weekend I have managed to sort out and remove the cassette without any issues, I was thinking of fibbing about what went on or just not concluding the thread with the outcome but I have to swallow my pride and confess....

I was simply using the wrong tool, when i used the correct one it fitted snug and worked a treat, i am going to blame the 34oC in my area, :-) i justify because I also did the following this weekend too:

1. Put the washing machine on dry and not wash - wifey was not impressed
    2. Used my finger to get jam out of a jar and spread on toast instead of a knife (i'm still trying to work this one out too)
    3. Went shopping!
    4. Sprayed some bike parts (pedals) grey and didnt wear gloves, now have grey hands!

Anyway thanks for the help and should I upgrade OG to PG cassette?

Cheers
    M
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564

1. Put the washing machine on dry and not wash - wifey was not impressed
    2. Used my finger to get jam out of a jar and spread on toast instead of a knife (i'm still trying to work this one out too)
    3. Went shopping!
    4. Sprayed some bike parts (pedals) grey and didnt wear gloves, now have grey hands!

M

1 . That's understandable.
    2. I won't ask what you spread the butter with.
    3. You did what! Now you've really lost it.
    4. A badge of honour.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    I for one always appreciate it when someone fesses up.
    We've all been there, but few admit it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.