Friday, the slow realisation that the body is ageing quicker than the mind

Saw my coach yesterday and we created a plan of a hard weeks running rather than tapering to test my foot and knee. Failed the first test last night, so it looks like my A race is now no race ๐Ÿคฌ

FFS months of training and even last night I was drinking water in the pub ๐Ÿ˜ข

Not a happy bunny, so may make more of a work situation today as an opportunity to vent.

Later will be ale

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    'ning

ride, cafes and bask the scorchio

running: it'll get you nowhere

hope things improve
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,413
    Off to a 13th century salt mine, 330meters deep today near Krawkow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieliczka_Salt_Mine
    Pinno, ืžืœืš ืื™ื“ื™ื•ื˜ ื•ื—ืจื ืžื›ื•ื ืื™
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Heal quickly and fully old fella.

I admire the intent and plural use of cafes by SG.

Day off, mincing around the lanes of Lancashire, undecided about adding another water bottle to my bike as a route crystallises.
    โ€œGive a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boringโ€

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    edited August 2022
    slowmart said:

Heal quickly and fully old fella.

I admire the intent and plural use of cafes by SG.

Day off, mincing around the lanes of Lancashire, undecided about adding another water bottle to my bike as a route crystallises.

Line up 10 bidons on a wall somewhere and do loops.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Another lovely day.
    Will be mostly playing dads taxi and doing chores.
  • pinno
    tlw1 said:

Saw my coach yesterday and we created a plan of a hard weeks running rather than tapering to test my foot and knee. Failed the first test last night, so it looks like my A race is now no race ๐Ÿคฌ

FFS months of training and even last night I was drinking water in the pub ๐Ÿ˜ข

Not a happy bunny, so may make more of a work situation today as an opportunity to vent.

Later will be ale

Does this mean you're not doing the dy'ke?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Ah, not good Mr Runist. Hope you mend.

(An aside: the ultra Race across Scotland on the Southern Upland Way starts tomorrow: I might 'bump' into some if I do some gravelling over the weekend.)

Today however, ride before noon, get back and sit in the shade. What is this basking shark thing?
  • pinno
    tlw1 said:

I was thinking about this and IIRC, you were supposed to rest at certain points but did otherwise.

• beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    seanoconn said:

Now this is a high quality summer holiday trip. I would be fizzing with excitement, while all around me including Mrs B3 would be wilting with boredom while I tried to get them interested in it. In the end they would give up and sit outside, while I did the full audio tour (if available).

Shopping trips = opposite - me outside the shop, them trailing round all agog at the clothes or other items in the shops.
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    Ridey in the sun. Legs are actually fried, so smooth rather than effortful pedalling.

Hope to bail early.
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

Now this is a high quality summer holiday trip. I would be fizzing with excitement, while all around me including Mrs B3 would be wilting with boredom while I tried to get them interested in it. In the end they would give up and sit outside, while I did the full audio tour (if available).

Shopping trips = opposite - me outside the shop, them trailing round all agog at the clothes or other items in the shops.
    Good man. I thought you might be the only one who might show some interest. Not like the rest of these peasants.

Iโ€™d like to visit Auschwitz but with two boys who enjoy a giggle at/in the most inappropriate times/places. Not a good idea.

e:g yesterday at the local swimming pool. A poor boy had the most unfortunate/impressive set of man boobs. Child 2 pointing and shouting โ€œThat boyโ€™s got t!ts!โ€ ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ both boys, giggle giggle. Pair of @rseholes.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    If you need any holiday ideas:
    https://youtu.be/RbeaXtEzM4A
  • seanoconn
    masjer said:

If you need any holiday ideas:
    https://youtu.be/RbeaXtEzM4A

Watched that episode. Done most in the past except the salt mine. Some is just for tourists and would be frowned upon due to my Polish affiliation and elevated status ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152
    edited August 2022
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Good man. I thought you might be the only one who might show some interest. Not like the rest of these peasants.
    I've done some bits and bobs of work around the Cheshire salt mines. I mentioned to someone and he told me about the Wieliczka one and said it was worth a visit.
    It looks a bit like a man cave rather than a proper cave in the photos?

• thistle_
    Ride
    WFW
    Ride home

Hardly anyone in so mischief is gonna happen.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,871
    thistle_ said:

Ride
    WFW
    Ride home

Hardly anyone in so mischief is gonna happen.

No TT?
  • thistle_
    tlw1 said:

No TT?

No, lost interest and need to be up early in the morning.
    Legs are toast anyway.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522
    edited August 2022
    Busy morning for a Friday in August. Quite a few meetings with follow up stuff etc. Managed to drop bike off at new LBS to get fettled, will pick up later. Will be too hot to ride later on though, so will drink cider later instead.

Council bods coming round tomorrow to inspect the house in advance of our Ukrainian guest coming over - she will probably land in September at this rate though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    Stevo_666 said:

Managed to drop bike off at new LBS to get fettled, will pick up later. Too hot to ride ater on though, so will drink cider later instead.

There is no such thing as too hot, you just pedal slower and have more cider stops.
  • thistle_
    I was gonna gave a nap but some guy dressed as a Roman in armour has just turned up shouting
  • orraloon
    That wiznae me, I don't shout.

Ride rided, down to the coast and back, temps were fine even if I left an hour later tian planned, mornings are never my thing.

Back to news that one of the last of the previous generation, husband of my last remaining auntie, passed away overnight. That generation are thinning out a lot.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522
    thistle_ said:

Stevo_666 said:

Managed to drop bike off at new LBS to get fettled, will pick up later. Too hot to ride ater on though, so will drink cider later instead.

There is no such thing as too hot, you just pedal slower and have more cider stops.
    Technically I'll just be lowering my pedalling speed to zero and upping the cider intake :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    orraloon said:

That wiznae me, I don't shout.

Ride rided, down to the coast and back, temps were fine even if I left an hour later tian planned, mornings are never my thing.

Back to news that one of the last of the previous generation, husband of my last remaining auntie, passed away overnight. That generation are thinning out a lot.

Sad news at any time 'loon. We're in for a dose of that soon - Mr WS's cousin is headed to palliative care home this week as she's in end-stage cancer, not expected to be long.

Surprisingly nice day here, not predicted. Drove around a lot with the roof down. Some minor work here and there on stuff, but mostly a day off. Might have to get cracking on landscape maintenance soon, before the real growth kicks in.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    Afternoon folks,
    Busy day of wfh with a bit of an outing to take the old dear to see financial advisor bloke. Hopefully got that sorted. Now just pretending to work before going to the pub, decided on the one with a nice, shady garden. Weekend of doing stuff lies ahead, will follow the advice above and move slowly whilst keeping liquid intake up.
    Not nice when relatives go, however old they are. Can only hope it's as painless as possible once a certain point it passed.
  • orraloon
    Aye, the clock keeps ticking. Dad's side all gone. Mum's side, of the family of 10 (ten) kids there's only my aunt who was 8th in line, my mum was 9th died in 2008, and my uncle the youngest left. Tick tock. Not that kids soshul meejah thing.

Anyways, enjoyed a couple of rehydrating beers in the microbrewery tap room, not been there for some weeks, back in the fort enjoying the views. Enjoy life while it's here: reminder of the day.