Acceptable Drag?

reaperactual
reaperactual Posts: 1,185
edited August 2022 in MTB workshop & tech
Recently noticed play in my rear hub, bearings were done after a good service life.

Totally Stripped it all down, thoroughly cleaned and re-greased inside the freehub (pawls, springs and so on). Replaced both the hub and freehub bearings, why not since I was at it.

Put everything back together carefully and made sure the spacer was fitted between the driveside bearings and all feels good.

When backpedaling on the stand the rear wheel starts to rotate too. Is a small amount of drag to be expected just from new bearings 'max filled with Mobil marine grease' (as advertised)
have been fitted?

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    If the rear wheel rotates backwards with the pedals then you have more drag in the freehub than the wheel bearings which is kind of what you would expect as the freehub has pawls aswell as bearings.

Marine grease is pretty thick so id let it bed in a while before getting bothered about it.
  • reaperactual
    Thanks for the reply Mully. Yeah not concerned or bothered just noticed it since the hub service and it didn't do it before.

Only had general purpose grease to hand for the freehub side and it seems okay. Buying a tub of the proper stuff Hope use and recomend for next time. 👌
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

new bearings 'max filled with Mobil marine grease' (as advertised)

Fine in the bearings, far to thick in a freehub's pawls!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • reaperactual
    edited August 2022
    Cheers for the reply @The Rookie.

Not too happy about using general automotive grease on the pawls but had to put everything back together for planned rides over the last few days.

Yes, agreed, I thought the same thing too but looked it up and Hope use and recomend the same Mobil XHP 222 that are in the bearings I bought.

Dark blue on the YouTube clip and that's what I wiped out of there for it's first service? 🤔

https://youtu.be/LeQYfb9PvqU

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are they hope hubs, mavic use light oil for example, so it's not a one size (grease) suites all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • reaperactual
    edited August 2022
    Yes Buddy, the Pro 4.

I'm thinking the pawl springs are strong enough to overcome the stickiness compared to some.... maybe?

Closely inspected the pawls and they still seem in really good shape with almost no sign of wear found.

No sign of bad engagement at all, I read it's something to watch out for during the first ride after a service.