Boardman SLR

Thoughts? Looks awesome for the price (think it's 2017 model)... I think it's the 790g version, the proper lean and mean machine.... I see it always built with Di2... anyone knows if it takes cables groupsets, or just Di2?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195219220094?hash=item2d73f8e67e:g:umcAAOSw8PFiweXz
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    no one knows? I have popped a question to the seller, but no reply as yet... hate people who post items and then don't bother to check their mail
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Pics of frame clearly show cable entry and exit ports on the TT and an entry port on the downtube. There is also an exit port on the driveside chainstay. So my guess would be that it should be able to take a normal cable operated drivetrain
  • ugo.santalucia
    arlowood said:

Pics of frame clearly show cable entry and exit ports on the TT and an entry port on the downtube. There is also an exit port on the driveside chainstay. So my guess would be that it should be able to take a normal cable operated drivetrain

wouldn't it have the same ports for Di2 only? Just not designed to take ferrules...
  • Yes, it looks like the signature line from around 2016/17, which as you say Ugo, came with di2.

I don't know if it is electronic only though.

A mate of mine has had 2 Boardman frames (not this exact model). He really rates them. At the price it looks like a good deal.
  • Looks like there's nowhere for the front mech cable to exit the frame other than the seat tube so I'm not sure how it would work. I'd say it's Di2 only. My Cube Litening is the same design.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,951
    Could try getting hold of Boardman bikes direct. They may be able to clarify fully for you. There's a phone number on their contact page.
    https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/service/contact.html
  • ugo.santalucia
    JimD666 said:

Could try getting hold of Boardman bikes direct. They may be able to clarify fully for you. There's a phone number on their contact page.

but do you trust these people? probably a spotty teenager who doesn't have a clue and will tell you one way or the other based on some incorrect information... and then you can't return stuff...
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited August 2022

JimD666 said:

but do you trust these people? probably a spotty teenager who doesn't have a clue and will tell you one way or the other based on some incorrect information... and then you can't return stuff...
    patronising rude utter bilge Ugo. You're better than that.

or someone who knows what they are talking about and can answer your question

they'll have no less or more knowledge than asking bunch of people on a forum.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ugo.santalucia
    MattFalle said:

JimD666 said:

Unlikely... anyway, I've had a look at other Boardman frames with Di2 (even older ones) and they seem Di2 only (for example the 2012 SLR 9.0s)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Anyway, I have sent an email to Boardman and see what they say (and how they say it)
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

JimD666 said:

Unlikely... anyway, I've had a look at other Boardman frames with Di2 (even older ones) and they seem Di2 only (for example the 2012 SLR 9.0s)
    why is it unlikely?
  • ugo.santalucia
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

JimD666 said:

why is it unlikely?
    Because the people hired to answers calls and emails are not qualified mechanics and rarely know much about these details, even less so if they refer to the 2016-17 range of bikes. I am happy to be proved wrong.
  • MattFalle
    utter tripe

so you're saying that a) mechanics know what they are talking about and b)you have to be a mechanic to open a pdf on a screen to look at an old catalogue?

you do realise you've just demened a whole generation of people working their way through the bike trade, a lot whom have raced and tinkered for years and most probably know far more than you?

i duppose you would never go to Halfords/Bike Hut to buy a bike either?

• ugo.santalucia
    edited August 2022
    MattFalle said:

utter tripe

so you're saying that a) mechanics know what they are talking about and b)you have to be a mechanic to open a pdf on a screen to look at an old catalogue?

you do realise you've just demened a whole generation of people working their way through the bike trade, a lot whom have raced and tinkered for years and most probably know far more than you?

i duppose you would never go to Halfords/Bike Hut to buy a bike either?

MF...
    If the information was available, I would have found it already... it's not the kind of info you find on the catalogues. You need to have seen the frame (from 2017), possibly have built one up into a bike to know whether it can be built with a mechanical derailleur or not. A sales rep who was in there in 2017 would know, a bike mechanic who has seen these frames would know, or someone on BR forum who had one would know. Someone in a call centre at Boardman is unlikely to know... but, if they can be bothered, maybe they can find said sales rep/mechanic and ask them.

EDIT: I went to Halfords yesterday to pick up a bracket... the guy was mounting a wheel to a wheelchair... the wrong way round, then he forgot to put a washer in place... he really fitted all the stereotypes about Halfords bike mechanics
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,155
    Anyway... someone is selling a Signature Edition Air frame, which like the SLR only ever was available as a whole bike built up with Di2, and they have built it up with 105.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134162698781?hash=item1f3cb8521d:g:ryAAAOSwA5linMM0

I always thought the frame was the same throughout the range just the carbon layup differed so I would be very surprised if it couldn't take mechanical.

Though if you've asked the question and the seller doesn't come back with the answer - I wouldn't click buy on that point alone whatever you find on the various sites & forums.
  • ugo.santalucia

Though if you've asked the question and the seller doesn't come back with the answer - I wouldn't click buy on that point alone whatever you find on the various sites & forums.

Agree, hasn't even answered my very first question about the size... he says it's for a midget (5'2"-5'7"), but if you look at the Boardman sizing for 2017 SLR, it looks like a small is bang on for someone 5'9"...

• ugo.santalucia
    This could be my kind of thing too... anyone knows which BB standard it is? Is it BB86? Just don't want to be stuck with an awkward standard that only Rose sells... and not to the UK
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115484027404?hash=item1ae3626a0c:g:k2wAAOSw1rNi64M6
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I have a Rose X-Lite Four and it has BB86 press fit BB. Can't access the Rose website because they no longer ship to the UK. However I've found a review of a 2021 model which suggests the BB is either BB86 or 92. So I'm guessing they are generally all press fit.

As an aside I've had no issues with my BB in over 3 years.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I'll put a bid on it, it looks like a very good deal... if I can get it for < 500
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited August 2022
    Having second thoughts on the Rose frame now... it was built with Di2, so I assume the frame plugs won't fit mechanical, as they are different plugs on the Rose website. Rose sell the correct plugs, but not to the UK. I have asked the seller and waiting for a reply...
    Might have to retract my bid... never done it before, apparently it is possible
  • Did the Boardman seller respond to your question?

Find it odd not to get quick replies, I have sold loads of cycling parts and a few bikes on ebay and always try to get back to people within an hour, if at all possible. As a seller I would want to keep people interested!
  • MattFalle
    why don't you go for something like an old Madone frameset?

i had a Discovery era one that I built up into a 5.85kg thing with no real special bits save for a worn set of D/A clinchers - shop wisely and you'll come in sub £500 all in.
  • ugo.santalucia

Did the Boardman seller respond to your question?

Find it odd not to get quick replies, I have sold loads of cycling parts and a few bikes on ebay and always try to get back to people within an hour, if at all possible. As a seller I would want to keep people interested!

Never did. Boardman came back via Halfords though, saying they think it might be compatible with mechanical and would be happy to look at the frame and give me some options if I book it into one of their shops... clearly not the local in Leamington with the spotty teenager who couldn't do a wheelchair's wheel... didn't feel me with much confidence
  • ugo.santalucia
    MattFalle said:

i had a Discovery era one that I built up into a 5.85kg thing with no real special bits save for a worn set of D/A clinchers - shop wisely and you'll come in sub £500 all in.

I am surprised, it was never a super light frameset, didn't the fork even have an alloy steerer?... the Emonda was the game changer for hill climbing
  • ugo.santalucia
    Anyway, the seller of the Rose showed me some pictures of the current plugs and they are Di2 specific, unfortunately. Annoyingly, the correct parts retail on Rose for less than one Euro, but thanks to Brexit we are barred from buying.... so there, it would be a hassle to get hold of them, might take ages... life is too short and all that, so I have retreated my bid. In the process, I missed out on a 200 quid Supersix (non HM) frame that someone was selling on a Facebook marketplace... win some, lose some...
  • MattFalle
    edited August 2022

MattFalle said:

I am surprised, it was never a super light frameset, didn't the fork even have an alloy steerer?... the Emonda was the game changer for hill climbing
    frames are light as espesh when you sand the 2/300g of paint off, fit your ec90slx forks on and it weighs nothing.

1x, nice light 'bars and stem, sorted.

sometimes think outside the box rather than spaffing cash on an Emonda