commuting trousers

Any advice? Long trousers, short 4 miles commute on a Brompton, sub-urban, could be a bit dirty if wet in winter. Need something that can be worn all day, so no big logos or weird colours, dry easy, wash easy, durable and robust... basically something that ticks all the boxes. I like the Rapha ones, but I can't really spend over 100 quid for some commuting pants...
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    edited July 2022
    Have you checked ebay - there's a reseller (treasure4u or some such) that has a fair amount of Rapha kit to sell off, and they tend to have the smaller sizes, of which I thought you were in that category.

Could be worth a look.

I have some Altura ones, but wouldn't want to wear them all day, they get used once in a blue moon.

Personally I would either store trousers at work, or take a pair in each day if no storage options exist.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Good tip... problem with ebay is that if it doesn't fit, it's a pain to return them... it's always difficult to get it right the first time round.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    pair of normal cargo shorts and normal trousers and shoes kept at work?

bear in mind work shoes on commute will take a battering in winter unless you wear horrible cheap things
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Shoes are not an issue, I use SPD, so I always have a pair at work... trousers more of a hassle, I share the office and the changing room is often busy in the morning... I'd rather not have to get changed. I have commuted in jeans last spring, but they can be sweaty and they are not ideal to cycle... doesn't have to be anything formal looking... haven't worn anything formal since... well, I guess since my wedding in 2013... :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Vulpine gravel trousers at £ 80 any good?
    https://www.vulpine.cc/catalog/product/view/id/2112511
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Shoes are not an issue, I use SPD, so I always have a pair at work... trousers more of a hassle, I share the office and the changing room is often busy in the morning... I'd rather not have to get changed. I have commuted in jeans last spring, but they can be sweaty and they are not ideal to cycle... doesn't have to be anything formal looking... haven't worn anything formal since... well, I guess since my wedding in 2013... :)

if you're only changing trousers just use toilet cubicle. takes30 seconds. no need for changing room.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ugo.santalucia
    MattFalle said:

if you're only changing trousers just use toilet cubicle. takes30 seconds. no need for changing room.
    You've obviously never been in a University toilet... might be OK in the early morning, but in the afternoon they are revolting, sticky pishs on the floor... years ago, when I worked at Brunel Uni, someone found a xxxx in a mug, left in the Engineering toilets
  • ugo.santalucia
    .. it's also convenient if I have a lecture at 9AM, I can cycle to the building directly, instead of having to head to the office and then walk 10 minutes to the building where the lecture is... the campus is constantly sprawling out
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I have some TLD skyline trousers for mountain biking and they’re plain, lightweight and comfy. £66 at Merlins.

https://www.merlincycles.com/troy-lee-design-skyline-mtb-pants-226598.html