2020 Norco Optic Rear Shock advice

I've just bought a 2020 Norco Optic frame without the rear shock.

Norco lists the standard shock as a RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate DH Custom RC, 190 x 45mm.

Short of seeking one of these out I can readily find a RockShox SIDLuxe Ultimate, 190 x 45mm.

I have checked the relevant 2020 Optic frame assembly service part diagrams and the bolts for the original shock are listed as M6x1 HEX5 DIA8 L15 at the bottom and a M6x1 HEX6 DIA10 L29.25 at the top.

Q1 - Assuming that the eye to eye length and stroke are the same (190 x 45mm) how can I find out if the RockShox SIDLuxe Ultimate, 190 x 45mm will fit the existing bolts? Can I assume that it will fit these bolts? Or will I just have to change the existing bolts?

Q2 - Will the RockShox SIDLuxe Ultimate, 190 x 45mm behave in a different way than the original? Will it be better or worse? Lighter or heavier?

Q3 - Should I just try to purchase a RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate DH Custom RC, 190 x 45mm. If so, is it just a case of contacting Norco in the UK?

Please beg my ignorance regarding shocks. Unlike every other parts of a bike, this is the first time I've ever had to fit one!

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I would hope a frame would come with shock mounting bolts. The bolts can sometimes be a bit special. I would probably try Norco first for shock mounting hardware.

Most normal air shocks should fit, just watch out if there is a piggy back reservoir which may foul on the frame and avoid coil if the bike isn’t designed for a coil shock.

You should be able to buy any correctly sized shock and order custom mounting bushes as required. Ie the difference between your shocks eyelet and the bolts used to mount it to the frame.

Different damper tunes can be used to make a frame work how the manufacturer intended. (Trek DRCV etc) You probably wouldn’t notice.

Just a cheap idea for a shock.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/rockshox-deluxe-select-rear-shock/rp-prod211504
  • cd03wba
    cd03wba Posts: 22
    Thank you so much for your advice. That really, really helps.

There is no UK distributor for Norco in the UK but I contacted a stockist yesterday and they are going to get back to me.

It would seem that if I do buy another shock, I would simply have to locate the necessary shock mounting hardware or get the original shock from them. The former may prove less expensive given your link!

I've fired off an email but I'll report back as soon as I have a response, just in case someone else has this dilemma in the future.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    The OE shock is described as being for downhill, the SIDluxe is designed for XC. The SRAM specs do not include the size of the bolt eyes, but it reckons no bushes so you probably don't want a full-thread bolt through there.
    Whilst it might well fit, there's a good chance the XC damping curves will not be intended for the bit hits of DH. It may also have a smaller oil chamber, so could heat up quicker too, making things worse.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    BTW Evans cycles were the exclusive distributor of Norco bikes for quite a long time but I haven’t even been to one of their shops since Mike Ashley bought them out. Someone their still might have some contacts or some parts in a bin.

Optic only has 125mm travel so despite the “downhill” shock it isn’t a downhill bike !
  • cd03wba
    cd03wba Posts: 22
    Thanks all.

Still no response from Tredz.

I think I'll give it a swerve.