Help with bike rack

I have got a bike rack for my car the Saris Bones EX 3-Bike Bike Rack and would like to know if i have installed it correctly , I am not sure if the bottom legs should be on the car bumper or if there ok under the reg plate ?

Comments

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    I wouldn't want the weight of 3 bikes on a flexy plastic bumper, plus it would all go titsup when you unload bikes and open the tailgate.
    I'm guessing it's meant to be where you have it. What do the instructions say??
  • dazzzer
    dazzzer Posts: 72
    Munsford0 said:

I wouldn't want the weight of 3 bikes on a flexy plastic bumper, plus it would all go titsup when you unload bikes and open the tailgate.
    I'm guessing it's meant to be where you have it. What do the instructions say??

this was my thinking to about the bumper , but the thing is it looks like in the manual it wants the bottom legs on the bumper of the car if i am not mistaken , to add to the confusion there is a picture on the second page of a car with it under the reg plate like i have it .
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2022
    I tried a Saris Bones 2 on the back of my Nissan Pulsar. No matter how I configured the legs, etc. I couldn't get it to fit how I would have prefered it.

Roof spoiler meant the straps had to go over the top so the straps pulled down on the outer edge.

I put the main cylindrical bar higher up to clear the spoiler but both sets of feet were resting on the rear glass only.

I put the bottom feet lower down but the legs partially covered the reg plate, similar to your pics. 🚔😬

How about placing the bottom feet between the reg and rear window, either side of the Hyundai badge, maybe that would work?
  • dazzzer

I tried a Saris Bones 2 on the back of my Nissan Pulsar. No matter how I configured the legs, etc. I couldn't get it to fit how I would have prefered it.

Roof spoiler meant the straps had to go over the top so the straps pulled down on the outer edge.

I put the main cylindrical bar higher up to clear the spoiler but both sets of feet were resting on the rear glass only.

I put the bottom feet lower down but the legs partially covered the reg plate, similar to your pics. 🚔😬

How about placing the bottom feet between the reg and rear window, either side of the Hyundai badge, maybe that would work?

do you mean the bottom legs each side of the reg ? well i couldn't get enough distance apart on the bottom legs so i think the bottom legs would be on the reg in that case , i am not sure about the UK law but i don't think i can have anything touching or on the reg plate .
  • reaperactual
    To clarify. I did it the same as the pics and not happy with obscuring the reg plate.

The best way I found was with the top feet right up under the rear spoiler and the bottom feet above the reg plate recess. Maybe okay that way?

• dazzzer

To clarify. I did it the same as the pics and not happy with obscuring the reg plate.

The best way I found was with the top feet right up under the rear spoiler and the bottom feet above the reg plate recess. Maybe okay that way?

thanks , just tried that out and it fits , seems better higher up away from the reg
  • reaperactual
    edited July 2022
    😎 Didn't have any instructions to follow, a friend gave it to me so was winging it.

Fitted really well on my old Seat people carrier and my friend's Qashqai.

Yeah, lots of faffing around fitting it to a different car, wasn't perfect but safe and secure in the end.
  • dazzzer

I Got 3 bikes on the rack and the reg looks visible , I don't want to get stopped by police and my worry was the back lights , I took the front wheels off but would this pass as ok .
  • reaperactual
    edited July 2022
    I only carry one bike most of the time so wasn't any issues with obscuring the rear lights as they were clearly visible through the wheels.

We put two bikes on the rack once and light visibility was just about okay (don't know whether the Police would agree if they spotted it).

The reg plate is fine and clearly visible but doubt the Police would be too pleased. I'd definately recomend sorting out an auxiliary light cluster bar, like you'd fit on a trailer, etc. More money to spend but legit and much less than a possible hefty fine.

Read this article recently which has made me think twice if I end up carrying multiple bikes in future:-

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/19295433.warning-fines-bike-rack-faults-cumbria-roads-police/