Need new forks, advice please

Hey,

New to mtb stuff. Picked up a very cheap Carrera to get out with my son.

However the front socks are gone (literally pulled them apart and got soaked!)

So, I need something, under £150 (under £100 would be amazing).

It's a 29er, but don't have a clue about length, travel, etc. Probably doesn't matter in terms of spec as I don't want to spend loads, but want to make sure what I buy actually fits!

Thanks,
Dean

Comments

• oxoman said:

Which carerra model is it as that would give us an idea of the OEM forks.

It says Hellcat 15 on the frame. Unsure of year.
  • oxoman said:

What little i can find looks like it should be suntour xcm 100mm forks as to model yr no idea tbh.

Cheers!

It doesnt have to be an exact replacement by the way, just want to make sure fitment is correct.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You could try servicing/rebuilding the forks.
    This guide will help.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA said:

You could try servicing/rebuilding the forks.
    This guide will help.

I had hoped I could do this, but it looks like the forks had been submerged! The stanchions are incredibly rusty and pitted, no way they can be serviced. Even the springs were full of water. :(
  • oxoman said:

Personally I'd be replacing the bearings if I was stripping my forks down especially as potentially in unknown condition

Thanks. Presume these are easy to get from any bike store?

And what do you think about those forks? Any red flags?
  • oxoman said:

I'm no expert but ive never heard of bucklos forks and I'm always wary of Chinese stuff. The best guy on here would be someone like #SteveSordy. As already mentioned it may be worth a service kit. They're not the best of forks so not overly complicated. Have a look for older models going cheaper either fox or rockshox as both makes are reliable and better quality than cheap unbranded stuff.

OK. How about Rockshox Judy? From my research I believe they'll fit, so long as I find the version with a straight steerer.

I've found this https://www.biketart.com/products/rockshox-judy-silver-tk-2021?view=photos-zoom #product-photos-zoom which looks like a good fit, but I've never heard of biketart.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2022

oxoman said:

I'm no expert but ive never heard of bucklos forks and I'm always wary of Chinese stuff. The best guy on here would be someone like #SteveSordy. As already mentioned it may be worth a service kit. They're not the best of forks so not overly complicated. Have a look for older models going cheaper either fox or rockshox as both makes are reliable and better quality than cheap unbranded stuff.

OK. How about Rockshox Judy? From my research I believe they'll fit, so long as I find the version with a straight steerer.

I've found this https://www.biketart.com/products/rockshox-judy-silver-tk-2021?view=photos-zoom #product-photos-zoom which looks like a good fit, but I've never heard of biketart.
    Biketart seems reputable. I've ordered a few bits from them via ebay and all good.

Maybe see if Cycletradeuk has something like a good pre owned Fox, Rockshox, etc. like oxoman suggests. They sell new, nearly new and used stuff with accurate descriptions and condition grading:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/cycletradeuk

I bought a Suntour hybrid fork from them recently which I literally couldn't find on sale anywhere else.
  • So I ordered and received my forks, now for swapping over.

All straight forward, but I'm struggling with the race crown swap.

The old one is really stuck, and I think with brute force it's going to bend or break.
    So I thought it would be best to just buy new. However I can find anything that looks correct. Mine seems to have a flat step, then a concave curve, the new ones seem to just have a chamfered edge.

Any ideas?
  • After digging a bit deeper, am I correct in thinking that the race crown is included in complete headsets?

Maybe something like this?

I just presume I'd need to remove the upper and lower bowl from the frame?
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2022

After digging a bit deeper, am I correct in thinking that the race crown is included in complete headsets?

Maybe something like this?

I just presume I'd need to remove the upper and lower bowl from the frame?

Yes. You will need to replace the cups, 'bowls'. A new headset has everything you need, including it's specific crown race which is meant to be tight fitting (press fit) on some types. All parts contained in the new headset have to be fitted.

Not difficult but a few YouTube videos will help and give you some extra tips. You'll see the cups are press fit too and investing in headset removal and installation tools make it a lot easier to do.

Each component has the proper edge profile you're noticing to fit snug with the bearing profile and/or the next piece in the assembly:-

https://youtu.be/yUVelSrCFjw

P.S. The cups in the headset you linked look like 34mm external cups, maybe they're correct or maybe not? Can't tell from the pics?