Road bike shoes and pedals

Ready to take the plunge into shoes and pedals for my road bike. No clue what to look out for.
Shoes:
- Velcro or lace?
- same size as normal shoes or big bigger/smaller?
- Any other considerations?

Budget is up to £70 each item, so very much entry level.

Advice welcomed!

Comments

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    First decide if you need to be able to walk anywhere when you get off the bike. If so, go for 2 bolt MTB type cleats (=SPD) and a 2 bolt shoe with a recess for the cleat. And MTB clipless pedals eg Shimano M520.

If not, go for 3 bolt road type cleats (=SPD-SL) and corresponding 3 bolt shoes. And road pedals eg Shimano PD-RS500. You will waddle like a duck when you get off the bike.

Closures a matter of personal preference. Velcro is the cheapest option, then laces, ratchets, then finally Boa dials. Probably won't get Boas on a £70 shoe.

Fit varies massively between brands so I'd seriously suggest buying them in a bike shop with decent stock / choice so you can try plenty on
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    On the other hand, if you're happy to order several sizes:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHCAPRW/carnac-prove-road-shoe-white

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHCAGMTBO/carnac-grit-mountain-bike-shoe-olive

You can have a Boa dial on a £60 shoe! Go Planet X!
  • Don't overthink it, the right pedal/shoe combo often takes a while to find. Your first pair of each is just a starter!

For pedals, the main brands are shimano, look, time etc. It is more a question of feel, shimano and look tend to have a more solid feel when clipped in, other brands like Time allow a bit more foot movement (it is called 'float'). Cleats affect this and different types allow a greater degree of movement. For example, Shimano offers 3 cleats for their spd road bike, blue, yellow and red, each with a different degree of float.

For shoes, there are so many options, go to your lbs and try some on, as Munsford says. Pick the shoe that fits and feels best within your budget. Generally speaking, leave a smidge more room in the toe box than a regular shoe, but usually you would be the same size or thereabouts.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    I've just started using my first pair of lace up shoes and love them - far better than expected.

Boa are good yes, you will find them on any price range of dhoe unlike the post above says. Tbh, the version of Boa Planet X use is actually far better than Boa.

Wiggle also have DHB shoes on sale at the mo' so worth a look.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Go to a shop with a variety of brands and take your time when trying them on.

Don't buy online until you know which brand fits. They are not all the same.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    navrig2 said:

Buy them from the shop if you are trying them on there. Don’t be an as*e buying them on line when you’ve tried them on in a shop.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    webboo said:

navrig2 said:

Buy them from the shop if you are trying them on there. Don’t be an as*e buying them on line when you’ve tried them on in a shop.
    Agreed. I didn't mean to imply that. I know that Specialized size 43 fit me and am now on my 3rd pair. The first 2 pairs were bought in store and the third bought online.

What I meant to say was do not buy your first pair of shoes online.
  • Got some shoes, they’re great. However I made a schoolboy error on the first outing and didn’t tighten the bolts enough so lost a bolt and plate!! Oh and cycled 10km with no clip in for my left foot so that was a bit hairy!!

Tried to find some replacements but having difficulty. Ordered these and they’re very small, but could hold it in place. Any reason why it wouldn’t work?

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited August 2022
    No reason why it wouldn't work, as long as the thread mates with the hole in the shoe properly.

If you are worried that the head is that much smaller, just pop a washer under it to spread the load.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    Or just buy a replacement set of cleats and borrow one of the screws from that.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Or find someone else who uses Shimano cleats and see if they have any bolts left over from when they last changed their cleats. I have loads of the things at home.
  • dawesie01 said:

Got some shoes, they’re great. However I made a schoolboy error on the first outing and didn’t tighten the bolts enough so lost a bolt and plate!! Oh and cycled 10km with no clip in for my left foot so that was a bit hairy!!

Tried to find some replacements but having difficulty. Ordered these and they’re very small, but could hold it in place. Any reason why it wouldn’t work?

This happened to my son years ago. In the end the easiest solution is to order another pair of cleats which come with new bolts. As per Dorset Boy I keep quite a few of the old bolts when I replace my cleats so if you do know anyone riding Shimano they may have some.