Bottom bracket?

rip_van
rip_van Posts: 8
Hi all, I have a Saracen Tufftrax Comp Disc with a knackered bottom bracket. The spindle is marked 113.5mm and the shell width is 70mm (but not Italian).
68mm x 113.5mm bottom brackets seem to be readily available but not 70mm X 113.5mm.
What I'd like to know is, if it's possible to use a 68mm x 113.5mm unit instead?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    It will be a 68mm shell. Does it have paint on the outside of the shell? That could add a couple of mm. It's not really going to be a problem either way as there's a bit of leeway, but ideally the shell would be faced to remove any excess paint and ensure flat, parallel surfaces.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Since you mention spindle does that mean it is old-style cup-and-cone with free or raced bearings, rather than a cassette type BB?
  • rip_van

It will be a 68mm shell. Does it have paint on the outside of the shell? That could add a couple of mm. It's not really going to be a problem either way as there's a bit of leeway, but ideally the shell would be faced to remove any excess paint and ensure flat, parallel surfaces.

It does have paint on the outside but 2mm? I am thinking about scraping the paint off the drive side as the cup is flanged on that side, although I wouldn't have thought it would even be 1mm thick?
  • rip_van
    me-109 said:

Since you mention spindle does that mean it is old-style cup-and-cone with free or raced bearings, rather than a cassette type BB?

It's (was) a cartridge but the bearings are completely disintegrated so the spindle came out and it's stamped 113.5mm. It's a friends gad about but he has others.