Hunt race aero bearing removal

Hello,

I am just trying to remove the bearings on my hunt aero race wheel set pre 2019.

I’m at the point where I am about to tap the spindle out to get to the bearings.

My question is - which side of the spindle should I tap out - the drive side or none drive side?

I’m guessing the spindle will have a lip on it where the bearing will sit so getting it out the right way will matter.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 416
    edited July 2022
    Is the the NDS cap threaded on ?
    Normally it's tap out from the drive side to remove the axle and nds bearing .
  • gordon74
    gordon74 Posts: 8
    Hi,

Yes the NDS cap is threaded on. I’ve given it a few tentative taps from the drive side but not moved yet.

It doesn’t look like it but is there a spline lock ring nut on the drive side that you have to remove first?

Thanks
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Why not just drop Hunt a line and they can tell you exactly what to do?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • gordon74
    Hi, thanks, I have done that but haven’t had a reply so trying other avenues.
  • MattFalle
    have you tried their live chat thing or giving them a call?

i had to call them a while ago and they were quite good.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    MattFalle said:

have you tried their live chat thing or giving them a call?

i had to call them a while ago and they were quite good.

You have Hunts? 😱🤣🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    no - i have built a bike with them for a friend and they were faulty out of the box which is part of the reason i have such a low opinion of them
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 416
    edited July 2022
    gordon74 said:

Hi,

Yes the NDS cap is threaded on. I’ve given it a few tentative taps from the drive side but not moved yet.

It doesn’t look like it but is there a spline lock ring nut on the drive side that you have to remove first?

Thanks

If it has a star nut on the drive side then it comes out the NDS
    The star nut comes off to remove the driveside bearing

If the treaded NDS cap has flats on it it should screw off ,is there space on the drive side for a hex key to hold it to unscrew the nds cap ?

Pics of tge inside of the driveside would help
  • gordon74
    Hi,

All sorted now thanks. I gave it a few good taps from the drive side and axel popped out with one of the bearings, so all good now and can replace them.

Interestingly, non drive side bearing in really good condition and drive side bearing completely worn out - makes sense I guess!
  • gordon74 said:

Hi,

All sorted now thanks. I gave it a few good taps from the drive side and axel popped out with one of the bearings, so all good now and can replace them.

Interestingly, non drive side bearing in really good condition and drive side bearing completely worn out - makes sense I guess!

Glad to hear it
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    The drive side is more open to water ingress.
    When installing the new bearings, I'd put the drive side in first, since the axle will be out of the way. Only install by pressing/tapping the bearing on the outer race to prevent damage.
  • pblakeney
    masjer said:

When installing the new bearings, I'd put the drive side in first, since the axle will be out of the way. Only install by pressing/tapping the bearing on the outer race to prevent damage.

????
    I'd press/tap on the inside race when fitting to an axle. Outside for in a housing.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    pblakeney said:

masjer said:

????
    I'd press/tap on the inside race when fitting to an axle. Outside for in a housing.
    The bearings slide easily on the axle, but are pressed into the hub.
  • pblakeney
    masjer said:

pblakeney said:

masjer said:

????
    The bearings slide easily on the axle, but are pressed into the hub.
    Might depend on the design. I'm sure mine are the other way round.
    Tap onto axle, slide into housing. I'll find out for sure at the end of summer.

In summary, tap on the race with the tight fit.
    Veronese68 wrote: