Carbon frame crack

I was getting so much creaking from by bottom bracket when I was standing on the pedals; so I swapped it for new.
This didn’t stop the creaking & I think I know why.
Looking at the picture I’m thinking these cracks are the source of the creaks.
Is my frame beyond repair?

JOGLE Cube Aree GTC Pro -DONE
Summer Commuter Single Speed 90 gear"
Winter Commuter Badboy Lefty Single Speed
Hack Lefty with slicks
Dirty Lefty Taurine
Giant FCR2 not compact anymore + mods. STOLEN.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    I don't see any crack, it seems the paint has flaked off, which is not a structural problem and certainly not the reason for the BB creaking
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    yup, same as Ugo

hav you checked cleats, chain ring bolts, pedals?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • I thought it was a little thick to be just paint.
    I’d already checked the chainrings etc.
    Hack Lefty with slicks
    Dirty Lefty Taurine
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Yes, paint is thick, if you strip it off, the frame gets about 100g lighter!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Those ultegra cranks creak apparently if they separate a little bit.
    Not sure what crank you have though.
    On an old bike my crank arm had movement which in turn ruined the shimano saint pedal bearing on one side which caused a creak.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,555
    With so much flaky paint, it could be the alloy sleeve (that the BB threads into) that has come unbonded.
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Strip it all down and check it all out. If you cannot do that , pay an expert to do it for you .
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • Could also try pedal/cleats too
    As suggested stripping it down again and checking every component is the best way
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    If you have the correct BB removal tool then it is easy to strip it down as suggested above. If there is nothing wrong with it then at least you will have the chance to reassemble it again and you can reapply thread lubricant. Try plumber's thread tape on the BB threads before you tighten it all up again.
    Just another suggestion, regarding the source of the creak. These things are notoriously difficult to pin down and could be coming from a number of places. You say it happens when you get out the saddle, it could be something as obscure as your handlebar/stem arrangement. If you're out the saddle you will likely be pushing/pulling on the handlebars a bit more - it is feasible that the creak could be coming from there.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • MattFalle
    exlaser said:

Strip it all down and check it all out. If you cannot do that , pay an expert to do it for you .

eh?

pay an "expert"?

its a bicycle.

take bit of. lube bit. put bit back on.

if cleats are worn take off old cleats. put new cleats on.

who would be an "expert" at this by the way?
  • MattFalle
    crescent said:

If you have the correct BB removal tool then it is easy to strip it down as suggested above. If there is nothing wrong with it then at least you will have the chance to reassemble it again and you can reapply thread lubricant. Try plumber's thread tape on the BB threads before you tighten it all up again.
    Just another suggestion, regarding the source of the creak. These things are notoriously difficult to pin down and could be coming from a number of places. You say it happens when you get out the saddle, it could be something as obscure as your handlebar/stem arrangement. If you're out the saddle you will likely be pushing/pulling on the handlebars a bit more - it is feasible that the creak could be coming from there.

yup, deffo deffo a possibility.

start at front, work way back.

its a chance to also check skewers, etc. only takes 30 seconds but its something rlse off your mind.

remember that an easy way to check things like wheels is merely to take out existing one and swap with another.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    As above.

Although everyone has forgotten the first step...clean the frame!
  • Thanks for all the replies:
    in order
    1. Chainrings pedals and cleats all checked and good.
    2. It is 105 cranks so shouldn't have the same issues as the ultegra.
    3. BB removed, greased, removed again and PTFE tape applied still creaking.
    4. Skewers, bars, shifters, stem all good torqued with carbon paste.
    redvision said:

As above.

Although everyone has forgotten the first step...clean the frame!

I'd just given it a quick wipe over with oily rag
    masjer said:

With so much flaky paint, it could be the alloy sleeve (that the BB threads into) that has come unbonded.

This is what i think it is; the frame is almost 20 years old and has done a fair few 1000 miles. I think its new bike time but it does have sentimental value.
    Hack Lefty with slicks
    Dirty Lefty Taurine
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,555
    If that is the problem, carbon repair companies might be able to restore it. It probably won't be economical.

https://carbonbikerepair.co.uk/wp/?p=1161
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    When that happened to mine it went suddenly without creaking - that's not to say it would always follow that pattern. I did get mine glued back in (under warranty) and it's been fine since.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]