Latex inner tube bulge?

pete1336
pete1336 Posts: 86
I recently bought a Vittoria Competition Latex Inner Tube from Wiggle. When inflating it, a bulge appeared in the tube which led me to believe that the wall in that part of the tube must be defective...weaker than the rest of the tube. I considered if it was this way by design but thought that unlikely. Took a pic, sent it to wiggle and they have agreed to replace.
However...I then tested a second older but identical tube and hey presto....an identical bulge. Is this normal then for a latext tube?

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    I'm really not impressed with your balloon modelling skillz. Is it meant to be a snake?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    pete1336 said:

. Is this normal then for a latext tube?

It's normal for any tube, latex or butyl. They will all do that if you inflate them outside the tyre. It's not a sign of anything bad - they are called 'inner' tubes for a reason.

Fit the tube and get back to riding.

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    You should see the tubes I've patched repeatedly when I inflate them to check for leaks. Reminiscent of contestants on the Generation Game trying, very badly, to use a sausage machine. Fine inside a tyre.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Clearly shoving that inner tube down your shorts would solve the embarrassment issue for the guy who found Lycra shorts too revealing.
  • I always remember standard tubes bulging more around the valve area when pumped up looking for a puncture in the sink.
    Not quite as obvious as that though