Rattling shifter - something about to pop?

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,844
My 6800 RH shifter is rattling when I am on a rough road. The LH is shifter is completely silent. It's a buzzy rattle and it doesn't really stop if I squeeze the hoods.

The shifter is about 9 years old and hasn't caused any problems before. It is still changing gear OK.

There are a couple (at least) of issues shown on various YouTube videos but before I start pilling back hoods and tightening/loosening screws I thought I'd check on here.

Anyone got experience of this and have any suggestions?

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    Lost the silly little screws that hold the cover in place over the hoods gubbins? It's an annoying rattle on my brs-505 rh brifter since replacing cable in the spring and having a mare with those two little screws.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    There's a cover plate underneath the shifter. You have to peel back the rubber to access the screw. If it keeps coming loose, thread-locker will help
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    When that’s happened to me it is invariably a frayed cable that snaps before I realise. I should learn…
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    pblakeney said:

When that’s happened to me it is invariably a frayed cable that snaps before I realise. I should learn…

This.
    Had it happen twice. Annoying rattle and couldn't figure it out until the cable snapped in the shifter - not ideal when 30 miles from home with no bike shop in between. When i heard a similar rattle (on another bike but with 105 shifters) I was wary, checked the cable and it had frayed.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    pblakeney said:

If it's been 9 years without renewing the cable, I'd agree with this.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Thanks guys. The cables are about 5 years old.

I have just noticed that the front brake caliper is sticking slightly so the cable may not be tensioning properly. The two issues may well be linked.

I'll have a look at it.