Opinel TDF folding knives????

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    MattFalle said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Worth noting that the locking mechanism on an Opinel means that it isn't "immediately foldable" and is therefore illegal to carry in this country without a "good reason or lawful authority".

I was trying to work that out the other day. All the stuff I was reading mentioned needing to press a button to close the blade but I assumed one of those twist mechanisms (I had one on a pocket knife when I was a scout) would make it a 'lock knife').
    Yeah, as I said it has to be "immediately foldable" so a Swiss Army type knife (so long as blade is under 3 inches) is OK but anything with a mechanism such as the Opinels have would fall foul of the legislation.

well thats every picnic basket and farmer on the continent locked up then....
    UK legislation, no?
    MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Worth noting that the locking mechanism on an Opinel means that it isn't "immediately foldable" and is therefore illegal to carry in this country without a "good reason or lawful authority".

I was trying to work that out the other day. All the stuff I was reading mentioned needing to press a button to close the blade but I assumed one of those twist mechanisms (I had one on a pocket knife when I was a scout) would make it a 'lock knife').
    Yeah, as I said it has to be "immediately foldable" so a Swiss Army type knife (so long as blade is under 3 inches) is OK but anything with a mechanism such as the Opinels have would fall foul of the legislation.

UK legislation, no?
    there must be an equiv, non? (see what MF did there, did ya?)
    I'm British so I pay no attention to foreign rules, even when in foreign. That's how it works. 😉 (And, yes.)
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    MattFalle said:

pangolin said:

MattFalle said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

The picnickers would have a good reason and the farmers are not in the country (and would also have a good reason) so both would be fine.
    so a picnic is an excuse for carrying a cutlass around?

cool.
    A sword is classified as an offensive weapon per se being an item made or adapted for causing injury, hence a different bit of legislation applies. You need a lawful authority or reasonable excuse to carry one of them.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    edited July 2022
    What's a reasonable excuse for carrying a sword?

I guess if there's a terrorist attack and you're going at em?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    mrb123 said:

MattFalle said:

pangolin said:

MattFalle said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

The picnickers would have a good reason and the farmers are not in the country (and would also have a good reason) so both would be fine.
    so a picnic is an excuse for carrying a cutlass around?

cool.
    A sword is classified as an offensive weapon per se being an item made or adapted for causing injury, hence a different bit of legislation applies. You need a lawful authority or reasonable excuse to carry one of them.

ah. what if its a fancy bejewelled one? even though its razor sharp can i claim its a show piece?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

UK legislation, no?
    MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

UK legislation, no?
    there must be an equiv, non? (see what MF did there, did ya?)
    I'm British so I pay no attention to foreign rules, even when in foreign. That's how it works. 😉 (And, yes.)
    good point well presented. (see what MF did there again?)
  • MattFalle
    edited July 2022
    what classes as a suitable excuse out of interest? a bread knife is well vicious, but can you carry one of those around so long as you also have a baguette?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I suspect a ceremonial one isn't honed to perfection like a King Arthur one...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    MattFalle said:

what classes as a suitable excuse out of interest? a bread knife is well vicious, but can you carry one of those around so long as you also have a baguette?

For a sword or an opinel?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mrb123

Finding one in the street and being on the way to the police station to hand it in has been cited as a possible scenario by the courts. Possibly for a theatrical performance or fancy dress. Self defence when in anticipation of imminent attack.
  • MattFalle
    pangolin said:

MattFalle said:

both.

does the same apply for things like scissors? a pair of tailor's shears are well vicious.
  • MattFalle
    mrb123 said:

Finding one in the street and being on the way to the police station to hand it in has been cited as a possible scenario by the courts. Possibly for a theatrical performance or fancy dress. Self defence when in anticipation of imminent attack.
    so i took my katana to the chipperie because i anticipated an attack?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    MattFalle said:

pangolin said:

MattFalle said:

both.

does the same apply for things like scissors? a pair of tailor's shears are well vicious.
    For a knife you just need to be able to make a convincing case to the police, in the unlikely event you are actually asked about it.

Kitchen knife on the school run? No. Kitchen knife on a picnic because you have a big birthday cake to cut? Go for it.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ddraver
    MattFalle said:

mrb123 said:

At the risk of talking about stuff I have no idea about but hey it's the interwebs...

No, that wouldn't count. Carrying something in anticipation of using it to attack, even in self-defence, counts as an offensive weapon.

The example used was a ruddy great tyre iron carried in the front seat of the car as opposed to under the floor of the boot for example
    - @ddraver
  • mrb123
    MattFalle said:

mrb123 said:

The burden would be on you to prove you had a reasonable excuse. You would need to show you anticipated an imminent attack, you can't just carry one as a general precaution. The fact that you were going to the chippy rather than heading to the nearest police station to seek sanctuary would rather undermine your case.
  • MattFalle

ceremonial?

going to martial arts class?

going to sell it to someone?

do the same rules apply to something like a pick axe handle?

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    MattFalle said:

ceremonial?

Yes - you would need to explain it. Some people go on about making sure you have a catching mitt with you if carrying a baseball bat for self-defence. I think they're deluding themselves and the cops would simply ask you for details of the baseball match you'd been involved with. Safest bet is probably a large Maglite or similar with a castellated bevel, loads of legitimate reasons for that to be lying around your car or for you to be carrying one at night.
  • MattFalle
    its all well complicated this.

so you just can't tool up to go and pay someone a visit because they owe you money without a particular reason?

what if you think that they may be somewhat reluctant to give the the money they owe you and they may get angry - could you claim pre-emptive self defense?
  • mrb123
    MattFalle said:

ceremonial?

The law does differentiate between things at that are offensive weapons per se (items made or adapted to be weapons, such as a samurai sword or crossbow) and those items that are not in themselves necessarily weapons, eg pickaxe handles, hammers. In the second case, the prosecution have to establish and intention to use the item to cause injury.

If the prosecution can establish the requisite intent, the issue of reasonable excuse can still apply.

• MattFalle
    so if i took a claw hammer with me collect a small, say, gambling debt, i could say that it was because i suspected that the fence needed repairing?
  • ddraver
    If he had a broken fence and had asked you round to help, yep.

As long as you could prove self defence
    - @ddraver
  • mrb123
    MattFalle said:

so if i took a claw hammer with me collect a small, say, gambling debt, i could say that it was because i suspected that the fence needed repairing?

Tell them you took it because you thought that he had a pile of Hunt wheels that he wanted smashing up.

• MattFalle
    mrb123 said:

MattFalle said:

Tell them you took it because you thought that he had a pile of Hunt wheels that he wanted smashing up.

and the petrol for the same yah?

tbh, i'm only a small fella, so, say, a debt did need collecting, would size be viewed favourably by the courts?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640

I've carried a sword with a reasonable excuse. I was taking it home.

Another reason might be it goes with some ceremonial army outfit which you need to wear to a wedding.
  • pblakeney

Another reason might be it goes with some ceremonial army outfit which you need to wear to a wedding.
    They are not cheap though so I doubt there are many nefarious sorts that have one.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640
    pblakeney said:

They are not cheap though so I doubt there are many nefarious sorts that have one.
    Mine would be very ineffective as a weapon unless it scared people away.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    MattFalle said:

mrb123 said:

MattFalle said:

and the petrol for the same yah?

tbh, i'm only a small fella, so, say, a debt did need collecting, would size be viewed favourably by the courts?
    You could also mitigate by proving you are capable of fixing theother person back up afterwards.
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

oh no, every decent dealer has a sword.

guns for show, knives for a pro.
  • pblakeney
    MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

I was referring to the force's dress version.
    Then again, I've not checked out any dealer's inventory.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688
    MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

Swords are back up weapons. You want a spear.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688

Anything interesting?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition