Early Orange 5 upgrade advice please!

After years of wanting one, I've finally got an Orange 5, albeit an early (straight top tube) version.
As it's a project, that's been messed with over the years, I want to get back to something that is the same as (or, ideally, better than) the original spec.
So, I'm planning a dropper seat post, a 1x9 set-up (although have seen that 1x10, and even 1x12 are now available!), decent brakes, maybe a decent shock and maybe fork upgrade too. Has anyone done this with an early 5? And have any recommendations?
Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines

Comments

• zedhead
    zedhead Posts: 109
    Well, this forum is considerably quieter than it used to be a decade ago... Anyway, I've standard the 1x9 conversion by whipping the goosed sprockets off, and discovered a nasty, notchy, gritty bottom bracket. Are there any quality solutions that are cheaper than a Hope BB?...
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2022
    Just built up a new Orange Five frame using some existing parts from my last hardtail.

I think my Deore bb is on it's way out too. Getting sick of the service life of these disposable bb's.

Looked at the usual Chris King and Wheels Manufacturing options, yeah too expensive.

There's a GUB that's supposedly a C.K. copy but cheaper.

Someone on Pinkbike is selling new ceramic bearing bb's named UNITi but not so sure about those or any ceramic bearing bb's in general.

Also looked at a Nukeproof Horizon for £40 but have heard a few bad reviews.

F.w.i.w, I know Hope is expensive but I keep going back to it as the most suitable option. It might be worth splashing the cash on one, see how it goes and find out if it's worth it or not in the long term.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I used to buy Shimano Hollowtech II bottom brackets. OK they don't last forever, but they are cheap and easy to replace. I worked it out once that buying one of the everlasting ceramic BBs would last longer than any bike I had ever owned. So it was considerably cheaper to stick with the Shimano BBs. As long as you have the kit and the knowhow, it is quick and easy to do.
  • zedhead
    I've gone for as Hollowtech BB, Hope are just too bloody expensive...
    Have also had to order a new set of stem bearings (Nukeproof), and brake pads too. Finding more bodges and knackered parts the more I look...
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2022
    I bought the Nukeproof Horizon headset, seems decent quality.

Gonna try and service my Deore bb instead of chucking it. If it's no better I'll probably just buy the Nukeproof bb and see how it goes.
  • zedhead
    I'd heard that Nukeproof stuff lives up to the name... fingers crossed. I understand that they're British too, as are Hope.
  • zedhead
    edited January 2

An update - on gong to fit the new Hollowtech BB, it seems that the frame threads are totally goosed, no chane of tightening up the BB at all. The frame is scrap. I also discovered that the forks seems to have very little movement and are really gritty in action,with noway of moving ay adjusters.

Several months went by in a dark funk. Then I found a later 5 frame, relatively local, not totally barginous, but within my meagre budget. I bought it, so now to swap over all the (non-nackered) parts from the scrap frame to the (hopefully good) frame.

I also sourced another set of forks. Fingers crossed I can get sorted for Spring...

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

Are the threads stripped, maybe it just needs the threads chasing out?

Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zedhead
  • zedhead

Ah, not seen those before. If I had, I may not have bought the second frame... as it happens, the replacement frame is a later version (the one with the goosed BB has a straight top tube) and is actually the type that I really wanted in the first place, so it's not all bad!