SRAM 10/11 speed

pbt150
pbt150 Posts: 316
I have 10 speed SRAM Rival from around 2009/10 on my bike. The right hand shifter leaver snapped off on a ride yesterday. I’m assuming it’s terminal and can’t be repaired.

Obviously the easiest and cheapest way to go is to get a new SRAM 10-speed RH shifter.

BUT…could this be an excuse to move up to 11 speed? I have 11-speed compatible wheels, but the derailleurs are both 10-speed and I have an FSA crankset that I believe may be 9-speed. Would SRAM 11-speed shifters/cassette/chain work with the rest of my setup?

TIA

Comments

• PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    I have used 10 speed cranks on my 11 speed bike without issues. But I suspect if the crank really is 9 speed, the shifting won't be that good when changing gears on the front derailleur.

You could also have a look at Sensah groupsets which are SRAM compatible. I use the 11 speed carbon fibre group set (Empire PRO) on one of me bikes and it performs well.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited June 2022
    All SRAM 10 and 11 levers are shifters and brakes and cranks are compatible and work perfect: SRAM use 1:1 "direct activation" cable pull so all mechanical works together.

Its another reason why its granular gravy.

Your crank will slso work fine but tbh, you can find 11 speed stuff in the online shops for not much, so means you'll get new c/rings to mstch new chsin.

You'll need an 11 speed shifter, chain and cassette and thats it. Fit and forget.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    I’d thought about trying to repair but I think it’s a bit far gone for that!

My main concern re chainset was whether an 11-speed chain would move between the chainrings ok, and whether there’s a risk of the chain getting jammed between the chainrings if I shift badly.

I’ve got a really nice carbon fibre crankset I found in the sales a few years ago so if an 11-speed chain won’t work I’ll just buy a replacement 10-speed shifter and be done with it.
  • MattFalle
    Yeah, thats jeffed

Tbh pop the new chainset on and see how it goes - if it works, it works, if it doesn't it doesn't

Alts, just change the 9 speed chainrings for 11 speed on the new crankset.

Remember that sometimes its cheaper to buy a new chsinset snd tske the rings off rather than just buy new rings - so long as the bcd matches all cool.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.