Majorca- Recommend me somewhere nice in the south.

The wife and I have cycled quite a bit on the north of the island over the years but I want to go back next year. Recommend me somewhere nice to stay and cycle in the south of the island. I'm looking to avoid the mountains..she's a flats rider. A nice beach side town with access to lots of flattish routes.
Thanks all.

Comments

• Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,699
    Andratx, Mallorca (somewhere nice)

Unfortunately there’s nowhere untouched by tourists nowadays. If you really want flat stay away from the west coast. But there are some lovely roads/views to be had just don’t go for the mega-climbs/descents or plan to go too far.
    The island’s not that big you could go on a tour stopping in a different location each night (or couple of nights), with careful planning. Just a thought.

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,145
    I have stayed in Cala D'Or with the family and it ticks the boxes OP asked for, as do many of the towns along the south and south east coast.

The cycling all along the south is pretty flat, though there is San Salvador if you do want some climbing. Higher up you go up the east coast the hillier the surrounding countryside is (generally).

If your wife really doesn't like hills she may moan that getting out of said beach side towns almost always involves some uphill; minor in the scheme of things and pretty flat once out.

Though give me the north for proper cycling any day of the week...
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I was in Cala Millor a few years ago, which probably just qualifies on being in the south, certainly below the centre line of the island. It is a nice resort and has several miles of beach side cycle paths, all fairly flat. As someone who prefers the likes of Porto Pollensa and Port de Soller it wasn't really ideal for my kind of cycling but if you specifically want reasonably flat then it ticks the boxes. There are a couple of nice towns within comfortable cycling distance - Porto Christo for instance is lovely. Arta is also within reasonably flat cycling access with the climb to Betlem Monastery if you did fancy something a bit more challenging.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"