Novice seeks advice on 1980s racing bike

2»

Comments

• rustyjusty
    rustyjusty Posts: 35
    Am i going to notice an increase in speed on the roads if i get the racing bike in full working order compared to a mountain bike ?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    A road bike should be a lot faster on the road than a mountain bike. Whether that one will even last the distance is debatable.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,156

Am i going to notice an increase in speed on the roads if i get the racing bike in full working order compared to a mountain bike ?

Yes. The reason I got back into road cycling was having a shot of a friend's rebuilt dump recovery basic Trek. The difference between even that and my reasonably high spec hybrid Marin was immense.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited July 2022

In this particular instance, you would probably notice the same/similar speed increase by fitting narrower, road-specific tyres to your MTB.

By the way - technically, it's not a 'racing' bike - it's a road bike, with drop bars. It's not a close tolerance race frame - it looks like a touring frame with mudguard spacing and rack fittings.
  • You could have my old bike in perfect working order.
    Not sure where you live or if frame is suitable.
    180 quid to you.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255601054651?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=x1XQ9IEpQ1-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=x1XQ9IEpQ1-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
  • rustyjusty
    rustyjusty Posts: 35
    I realise the frame is too big for me so I’m selling it on for 40
  • Only a few more buys and sells and you'll have enough for mine.