Light for Bike Repair

I am looking to buy a Standing Light for my Garage Workshop Area so I can see my Bike better to work on.
Every time I work on my bike I have to take out small lights and move them around.

QUESTIONS
1. How Many Lumens will I need? The Garage Workshop Area is minimal, typical homeowner set up & has a couple of Overhead ceiling lights that are not great.
2. Would I be better with Halogen or LED lights? or other?
3. Probably wouldn't want to spend more than about $100 US.
4. Also, would (2) lamps be better or just (1) Lamp on the Light Stand?

I thought having a light on a stand would be the way to go ..., but I am open for Suggestions for other Methods. Thanks ahead for any input.
Attached is the Type/Style of Light I am considering.

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    The nature if working on a non uniform shape mounted on a stand means you will always have ark and light areas. If you are working in an area without natural light then you will probably have to move the light around to avoid shadows/shade.

I generally try to work on the bike on a bright day with the bike stand set up on the driveway. Otherwise I use the ceiling fluorescent tubes and a torch if working on a bit which is in the shade.

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Replace the ceiling lights with strip LEDs. They are excellent.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,421
    Trouble with those types of lights is that they are too directional so you get a lot of shadows from your hands where you are working. If you can then direct them at a white wall near your work area so it’s still bright but more diffused and less shadows. Better still would be some LED batten lights on stands either side.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• I would use a bright head torch e.g petzl nao+ in addition to fixed lighting.

My eye sight isn’t as good as it used to be so more lumens the better
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,790

I would use a bright head torch e.g petzl nao+ in addition to fixed lighting.

My eye sight isn’t as good as it used to be so more lumens the better

This.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 140
    A cheapy COB LED head torch gives a nice bit of extra light just where you're working, with more spread and less directionality/hand or tool shadows than a traditional single LED/bulb type. I converted mine to run on an 18650 and it lasts pretty much forever.
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 416
    edited June 2022
    I use strip leds in my workshop

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Shitloads of strip lights as everyone else says.

Stand lights aren't very good for reasons as above

Agree with head torch - doesn't even have to be a fancy hiking one - just needs to chuck out a load of light.

Sealey Draper mechanic specific job is perfect.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    The other issue I used to have was that my varifocals were rubbish for bike work (and DIY in general), Often I would be looking up through the top of the lens meaning I couldn't focus on the detail. I now use my (non-varifocals) ordinary glasses but am constantly taking them off or resting them on my head. Between difficulty focusing and needing loads of light to work in detail it is a real pain in the bottom.