Argon 18 '2 way seatpost' seat clamp

SlowRon
SlowRon Posts: 1
I have an Argon 18 Electron C track bike and I've had continuous issues with the seat clamp (see attached image). I've followed the instructions in the manual to the letter and I own a Park torque wrench. Unfortunately the seat would sag over time, i.e., the back of the seat would start to drop and the nose come up, and I'd have to re-adjust it. I do ride with my seat rearward (within the seat rail limit) but I only weight 160 lbs. I tried carbon paste between the aluminum 'rocker' and the carbon post but it didn't help. A couple of weeks ago I was riding on the track when the back of the seat dropped abruptly and I went down hard on the track. Fortunately I was alone on the track and not riding in a pace line, otherwise it could have been catastrophic. This leads me to my two questions for this forum; 1. Has anyone else had issues with this seat post seat clamp slipping?, and 2. Is there a replacement seat post that will fit my frame that has a more conventional seat clamp, either a later Argon model or an aftermarket seat post? I've reached out to Argon and their only response has been "Hmm, never heard of that happening before" and no answer to my question regarding alternative seat posts. Note: Argon doesn't use this design any longer. I reached out to the bike shop where I bought the bike and they said, "Oh yeah, those seat posts were a b*tch." I now consider the bike dangerous as I can't trust the seat clamp, and I've logged a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. I received word from the CPSC that they contacted Argon but so far no update. I don't want to modify the seat post (epoxying everything together has been suggested) until I hear what the final resolution is from Argon and the CPSC. Just so everyone knows, I love everything else about my Electron C! I'm not asking Argon or the bike shop to take it back, I just want a seat post I can trust.

Comments

• kennethclark7102
    kennethclark7102 Posts: 8
    edited December 2022
    The foremost thing that you should consider when installing a bike seat clamp is its tightness, which is crucial to ensure the rider’s safety. Moreover, to avoid mishaps related to slipping seat posts. Due to variations in size and diameter, tightening bike seat clamps do not require a definite torque. There is a maximum torque mark indicated in the seat clamp area that you can follow when calibrating one.