Quick release, 6 bolt rotor rear wheel, or pair of wheels needed

Afternoon all,

my Pro Lite Revo A21 wheels (Remember those?) are having a bit of issue.

They are fitted to my Synapse commuter, and I smashed through a sunken manhole cover last winter - the spoke was broken, and my lbs replaced it, and all was good.
Last week on the ride home another nipple broke, and I dropped it with him last week, but he is saying the rim is all over the place, and it's more difficult because it is bladed spokes apparently, he can't get it properly true, and feels it is beyond repair.

Frustratingly my new commuter bike is due in 5 weeks :#

I did struggle in on my flat bar boardman hybrid yesterday, and probably will again tomorrow, but it's not the most pleasant experience.
If I'm willing to go with a backpack, that would open up the options, and I may well do that, although riding in when it is cooler would be fine, I can imagine riding back when it's 26c or so could be pretty grim with one on your back.

Anyway, I digress.

I have a pair of 38mm deep carbon wheels that I bought off a chap on here, they are basically mint, and cost me £350 at the time, but they are also 6 bolt and quick release.
He says they were built my Malcolm at Cycle clinic.

I could put them on, but it seems a bit of a waste, and I don't want them getting trashed, and I would likely be better off selling them on.

Irrespective of whether I want to keep the Synapse long term, or sell it on it will need a new wheel, or more likely a new pair, as I think having a bike with mismatching wheels is just odd in more ways than one.

The limiting factor, I assume, is that is for a 2015 bike, so needs to be QR compatible, and accept 6 bolt rotors.

I'm not seeing any incredible deals out there, I guess I want a midway house between lightness and sturdiness.

Any obvious recommendations that spring to mind?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049
    I'm using the rear version of https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-chosen-hub-alex-volar-trail-wheels-29-82077.html on my Marasa commuter for ~4 weeks, no complaints at all.

I also bought the bolt thru endcaps (link on page) so I could fit it to my Cube as a backup.

I'm fairly sure I tried but didn't need a spacer to fit the 9-speed cassette, in which case in 11-speed road you would need to use an 11-34 (which come with a spacer to use on a standard 11-speed road freehub, that you wouldn't need on this wheel.)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    Thanks, I will take a look :-)

I may have misunderstood what you are saying about the 11spd situ - the write up states it will take all speeds, and the Synapse runs an 11-32, which I thought would just fit without any spacers?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    When I bought them, I thought the freehub would fit "normal" road 11-speed, which would mean that a 9-speed cassette would need a spacer. But using a spacer, the 11t sprocket was barely on the freehub, the lockring had no chance.

For me that's not a prob, because I've been using 11-34 cassettes for ~2 years on my road bike and these are designed to fit road10-speed (and mtb 11-speed) freehubs without the supplied spacer.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    Ah cool, I understand, so basically if you have 11 spd, it's 11-34 or nothing.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    As that's an MTB wheelset, the 11 speed referred to will be 11 speed MTB cassettes, which work in the same way as the Shimano 11-34 cassette to fit on a '10 speed' road cassette body.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Hi Daniel. You could try Mavic Aksiums, which I think come as QR versions or with adaptors. IIRC they did get a wider rim a couple of years back but the last ones I had didn't seem that wide. Alternatively look at Fulcrums from the likes of PBK as they definitely come with a range of axle fittings. If they are Centrelink, just get some 6-bolt adaptors. I used some DT Swiss ones, probably via eBay.
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2022
    me-109 said:

Hi Daniel. You could try Mavic Aksiums, which I think come as QR versions or with adaptors. IIRC they did get a wider rim a couple of years back but the last ones I had didn't seem that wide. Alternatively look at Fulcrums from the likes of PBK as they definitely come with a range of axle fittings. If they are Centrelink, just get some 6-bolt adaptors. I used some DT Swiss ones, probably via eBay.

Aksiums are a great shout, looks like new examples can be had for around £165, and second hand for south of £100ish.
    Pretty heavy, but no biggy.

Only thing I am unsure about is I was reasonably sure my wheels for the rear were 135mm, and the new ones seem to say 142mm, not sure if that would cause major issues or not.

Additionally I spotted these Fulcrums, listed as 700c, but say 650b as well, very confusing, plus I think they are thru axle, so not as simple as some older Mavics.
    So even though cheap at £128, probably not the most sensible buy.

https://chainreactioncycles.com/fulcrum-racing-700-disc-wheelset/rp-prod210737
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    The 700 there is just the model line, as in 500-700-900. I think they might actually do a 700c version though these are 650 as you spotted. ProBikeKit usually have Fulcrums at a discount but the cheapest currently look to be about £250 as centerlocks.
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2022
    I had thought I had found a well priced set on Merlin, but have just realised they are rim brake.....

I was also watching a 5 year old pair on ebay, but they are already over £100 :o

I have found these on Bike Discount - they appear to come with QR adaptors for front and rear (Do all thru axle Mavics come with that?) so presumably they might work - however what worries me more is the width of the rear at 142, where as I am pretty sure the Synapse is 135.

I'm trying to work out if the QR converters would reduce the width to 135 - presumably most older style QR bikes would be 135 anyway?

https://bike-discount.de/en/mavic-aksium-disc-6-bolt-shimano-wheelset

Is that a showstopper does anyone know?

If so, I may be forced to stick with 2nd hand wheels.

The other option is to put the handbuilt carbon wheels on, or is that just nuts?

I'm assuming if I went for a thru axle wheel, this is the kind of adaptor I would need?
    https://ebay.co.uk/itm/284864230779?epid=1022899031&hash=item42533b357b:g:VAUAAOSwU9Vii~hD
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    135 QR and 142x12 are actually the same size hub, the 12mm end caps just stick out further so that they sit in the pockets which through axle frames have in the dropouts. The QR adapters would make those wheels fit your bike.
  • daniel_b
    Brilliant stuff, that's what I was hoping to hear!

Thankyou @whyamihere - this is but one of the many reason, why you are here ;-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2022
    Ok, so more searching has found a few options.

PBK have these two sets, the first I can save £12, the second £25.
    Making them (after cashback) about £180 and £152 respectively.

Aksium disc brake: https://probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wheels/mavic-aksium-disc-brake-wheelset/13553503.html

Ksyrium 30 disc brake: https://probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wheels/mavic-ksyrium-30-disc-wheelset/13554579.html?rctxt=pers

I have messaged to see if they come with the QR adaptors or not.

It looks like I would have to buy the 6 bolt adaptors mentioned up above for both wheels, so that would add about £20 onto it, so £200 and £172.
    If they don't come with the adaptors, that would add a further £20 on per set.

Bike Discount have these that purport to be both QR and 6 bolt, so no adaptors required is the theory.
    https://bike-discount.de/en/mavic-aksium-disc-6-bolt-shimano-wheelset

£140 delivered, plus all the jolly fees we now have to pay, so probably they would weigh in at about £182.

As an aside of sorts, they have some Ergon GP5 grips I was after, which work out about £5 less than I can buy them from here after fees etc.

What would you do?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    Surely that's the other way round on pricing? The review on the Ksyriums confirms they come with QR adaptors; the Aksium description says nothing much about the huts and no reviews on their site.
    I'd go with a UK supplier just in case of returns or warranty needs.
    Probably Ksyrium over Aksium for not a lot of extra outlay.
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2022
    Yes spot on, 152 & 180!

Had missed that little gem within the 1 PBK review, thanks for that.

Is this the type of converter I need to allow the fitment of the 6 bolt rotors?
    https://amazon.co.uk/Centerlock-6-Hole-Adapter-Center-Conversion/dp/B09PRD737N/

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    The only wheelset I've bought in recent years with centrelock by default (I won't name it to upset MF :D ) came with 6-bolt adaptors.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • me-109
    I tried liking an eBay item that includes a pair of DT Swiss adaptors like those I used. Look up item 224968827844. Nothing to do with me, I might add, just from a Google search.
    I also noticed these on CRC, but some reviews suggest they may or may not tighten sufficiently https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/lifeline-centre-lock-adaptor/rp-prod176593, so may depend on thickness of rotors? Also worth noting there are two types of fasteners, the external ones like DT use a BB tool to fit, the internal ones use a cassette tool. If you get one of that type it may not work with the fitted axles that are too large to accommodate the cassette tool.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 462
    Morning Dan b,
    I have a brand new pair of DT R470 disc wheels with QR.
    I have never used them as I fitted a set of carbon wheels to the Tarmac SL5 they came with.
    They are set up as four bolt and are identical to the spec shown on the link. Guessing they could be adapted to six bolt as per one of the threads above
    Happy to negotiate a fair price if it helps. No worries if not any use! Just a thought.
    https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/mens-tarmac-sl5-comp-disc/p/128851?color=239617-128851
    Let me know
    BW
    Molteni
  • daniel_b
    me-109 said:

I tried liking an eBay item that includes a pair of DT Swiss adaptors like those I used. Look up item 224968827844. Nothing to do with me, I might add, just from a Google search.
    I also noticed these on CRC, but some reviews suggest they may or may not tighten sufficiently https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/lifeline-centre-lock-adaptor/rp-prod176593, so may depend on thickness of rotors? Also worth noting there are two types of fasteners, the external ones like DT use a BB tool to fit, the internal ones use a cassette tool. If you get one of that type it may not work with the fitted axles that are too large to accommodate the cassette tool.

Thanks for that, those adapters look pretty good on ebay.
    That's a potential ball ache with the adapters working, or not working - they never make it simple do they :#

Morning Dan b,
    I have never used them as I fitted a set of carbon wheels to the Tarmac SL5 they came with.
    They are set up as four bolt and are identical to the spec shown on the link. Guessing they could be adapted to six bolt as per one of the threads above
    Happy to negotiate a fair price if it helps. No worries if not any use! Just a thought.
    https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/mens-tarmac-sl5-comp-disc/p/128851?color=239617-128851
    Let me know
    BW
    Molteni

Thanks @molteni_man, yet another method, 4 bolt, not come across that before!!!
    Could well be of interest, although I wonder if it is not possible to adapt them to 6 bolt, as the mounting surface would then be in a different place, all be it by mm, but potentially enough to cause an issue.

As it happens I am waiting for one of my lbs's to come back with a price for some DT swiss wheels, so if you would be so kind as to pm me an idea of what you are looking for, that would be useful, and in the meantime I will try and figure out whether the 4 bolt fitment can be converted to 6, Otherwise it involves buying new rotors I guess.

*Also searching has discovered 5 bolt fitment rotors as well, ffs!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 462
    daniel_b said:

me-109 said:

Thanks for that, those adapters look pretty good on ebay.
    That's a potential ball ache with the adapters working, or not working - they never make it simple do they :#

Morning Dan b,
    Let me know
    BW
    Molteni

Thanks @molteni_man, yet another method, 4 bolt, not come across that before!!!
    Could well be of interest, although I wonder if it is not possible to adapt them to 6 bolt, as the mounting surface would then be in a different place, all be it by mm, but potentially enough to cause an issue.

As it happens I am waiting for one of my lbs's to come back with a price for some DT swiss wheels, so if you would be so kind as to pm me an idea of what you are looking for, that would be useful, and in the meantime I will try and figure out whether the 4 bolt fitment can be converted to 6, Otherwise it involves buying new rotors I guess.

*Also searching has discovered 5 bolt fitment rotors as well, ffs!
    Pm sent!
  • me-109
    There are quite a few sales on atm. You might be able pick up some centerlock discs for not much more than a pair of adapters. I scored a couple of 160mm Shimano SLX RT70 for something like £13 each late last year.
  • me-109
    @daniel_b not sure if you are still in need, but just came across item 175336288639 on the Bay. Aksium discs, centerlock still and in need of QR adaptors, but cheap.
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2022
    me-109 said:

@daniel_b not sure if you are still in need, but just came across item 175336288639 on the Bay. Aksium discs, centerlock still and in need of QR adaptors, but cheap.

Ah bugg3r, totally missed this reply :'(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    PM sent again
  • daniel_b
    Morning all,

I've still to pick up my stricken wheel from the mechanic, but will do so soon.

In the meantime I have come up with a different plan, but wanted to run it past the BR peeps first.

My partner has a Fuji 105 disc bike from the same year, or maybe a year later, so still QR, and also 6 bolt rotors - I'm hoping the widths will be identical.

So anyway, as mentioned above, I have some 38mm carbon cycleclinic hand built wheels sat around doing nothing - they were for the carbon Synapse that I sold last year, but I never fitted them.

My plan is to take the stock wheels from the Fuji, and fit them to the Synapse, with the original SRAM cassette from the Synapse.
    Then fit the Fuji's cassette onto the carbon wheels, and put them on the Fuji.
    The rotors would also be swapped from the fuji wheelset to the carbon ones, and the original pro lite (sram) rotors from the Synapse fitted to the fuji wheels.
    This will likely lighten her bike by something in the region of 500g, and I'll have a working Synapse that I can then sell.

My only slight hesitation here, is that in the not too distant future, myself and my partner were thinking about doing some light touring, probably just B&B stuff to start with, but maybe small tent/stove/sleeping bag type affair in time.

The pause is as to whether the carbon wheels with less spokes (I haven't counted them I have to be honest, but know they weigh circa 1550g the pair) will be strong enough to cope with the extra weight?

Opinions please on whether this is a sound idea or whether I have missed anything glaringly obvious.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18