Chamois cream

Should I use chamois cream? Do you guys use it?
My longest ride is typically 4hr and I'm just about fine without. But at my next Granfondo next month, Maratona Dolomiti, it will be like 7hr.
Many years ago when I used to ride several hours, I used to suffer from shuffling, and I wished I had known chamois cream actually existed :/
I also used to apply vaseline before long runs during my marathon years and it was super beneficial.

Chamois cream, should I give it a go?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Give it a try and decide for yourself.
    Your experience trumps anyone else's opinion.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 462
    I generally don't use chamois cream for 4 hour rides but find that I suffer on full day rides if I don't use it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    edited June 2022
    As above, given up on the stuff years ago... never looked back. It serves no purpose with modern padded shorts... longest ride without cream was a 12 hour 300km brevet
    left the forum March 2023
  • apcmtb
    apcmtb Posts: 53
    Anything over 5 hours and I've used it for as long as I can remember, possibly out of habit.

As mentioned above modern shorts do help, but better for me to be safe rather than sorry.

Give it a go
    Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

As above, given up on the stuff years ago... never looked back. It serves no purpose with modern padded shorts... longest ride without cream was a 12 hour 300km brevet

I'd disagree, I think it does but obviously everyone is different so YMMV.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444
    I use it for most rides and certainly longer ones!
    Mucoff Chamois Cream is my favourite and you don’t needs loads of it so lasts for a long time. Rub it in well to get best effect! Wouldn’t take any chances on a 7 hour ride!
    Hope it goes well!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    edited June 2022
    It's a very small price for a bit of extra insurance to my mind.

I didn't used to use it, but then suffered a saddle sore once, that took a fair while to shift, and have always used it since then.

Any substantial ride, or turbo session I will apply a small amount, but one of the 250ml pots must last me several months, so it's not exactly a costly exercise.

In my unscientific opinion, the more aggressive your position on the bike, the more necessary it is - that's from my own personal experience, as ibr says, YMMV B)

Like @molteni_man I too use Mucoff Chamois cream, and stock up when it is on offer, I have nabbed it for as little as £8 a tub - officially the rrp is £25 I think, but generally it is available for between £12.50 & £15 each, before discounts etc.

Merlin, Sigma, Wiggle/CRC and Halfords are 4 of the stockists I have used.

I tried quite a few different brands, and this is the one I have definitively settled on - good consistency, does the job, not too expensive.

There is another thread on here somewhere where the Veloskin brand is being raved about, seems they used to make the Rapha cream allegedly - they are certainly more expensive than the above though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I wear it on all my rides (anything over 30mins really).

I use the Muc-off cream. Worked well for me so haven't bothered changing
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692
    edited June 2022
    daniel_b said:

It's a very small price for a bit of extra insurance to my mind.

I didn't used to use it, but then suffered a saddle sore once, that took a fair while to shift, and have always used it since then.

Any substantial ride, or turbo session I will apply a small amount, but one of the 250ml pots must last me several months, so it's not exactly a costly exercise.

In my unscientific opinion, the more aggressive your position on the bike, the more necessary it is - that's from my own personal experience, as ibr says, YMMV B)

Like @molteni_man I too use Mucoff Chamois cream, and stock up when it is on offer, I have nabbed it for as little as £8 a tub - officially the rrp is £25 I think, but generally it is available for between £12.50 & £15 each, before discounts etc.

Merlin, Sigma, Wiggle/CRC and Halfords are 4 of the stockists I have used.

I tried quite a few different brands, and this is the one I have definitively settled on - good consistency, does the job, not too expensive.

There is another thread on here somewhere where the Veloskin brand is being raved about, seems they used to make the Rapha cream allegedly - they are certainly more expensive than the above though.

Yes that was a thread I started, looking for replacement for the rapha cream which I used.

Off the thread recommendation I bought the Veloskin stuff and I'd say it's really fantastic. Would thoroughly recommend.

FWIW, I was sceptical of the stuff but between the rapha stuff running out and veloskin I picked up my first proper saddle sore off just a couple of hour long rides.

I suspect it was partly lack of time in the saddle but we all change shape over time. I certainly use it all the time now and haven't had a sore since.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Cheaper and just as effective in my experience. Apply a little Sudocream first for a better result.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0722VXJX5/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A1N679GWI8MLCQ&psc=1
  • c_tab
    c_tab Posts: 2
    I went for years without using Chamois Creme and wondered what all the fuss was about…then got a sample in a goody bag after an event.
    Anything more than a couple of hours now and I’ll dab some on. Surprised nobody has mentioned how good the Muc Off stuff smells. It’s incredible.