Mineral Oil for brake bleed.

pete1336
pete1336 Posts: 86
Today, after looking online for some genuine Shimano Mineral Oil and noting the price folk want for a litre, I ended up buying this
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-brakes/halfords-mineral-oil-brake-fluid---125ml-169049.html?_gl=1*kaogvw*_up*MQ..*_ga*NjUzMDM0NTM4LjE2NTQyNzQxMDE.*_ga_VK44BRER97*MTY1NDI3NDEwMS4xLjAuMTY1NDI3NDEwMS4w
from Halfords. £8 for 125ml. Whilst there I asked the guy behind the desk if the automotive section of the store sold anything similar. Turns out they did...a full one litre...also for £8...'Hmm' I thought...'Are us cyclists being ripped off here compared to car users?'
Anyway, can this
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/brake-clutch-fluid/comma-l.h.m.-plus-1l-124424.html?_gl=1*asj9ko*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTMyOTg2MTU3Ny4xNjU0Mjc0NDM0*_ga_VK44BRER97*MTY1NDI3NDQzNC4xLjEuMTY1NDI3NDUzNC4w
also be used to bleed Shimano hydraulic disk brakes as an alternative to the genuine stuff?
Pete

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    The two links above are, by looking at the Hazard Sheet data, basically the same thing. Whether they are suitable for Shimano hydraulic systems and the seals used, I would not know?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Yes, I use LHM rather than Shimano mineral oil. It's the same stuff with a different colour dye in it.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,143

Yes, I use LHM rather than Shimano mineral oil. It's the same stuff with a different colour dye in it.

+1 for LHM.
    Does exactly the same thing but far far cheaper so you don't need to worry about being sparing e.g. properly flush through the system when you bleed, several times if needed.
    Mountain bikers have been doing this for years.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    That's good to know as I've recently just fitted a used hydro groupset and used loads of oil bleeding it and purging all the old black oil from the system