which 29" 6 bolt 135QR rear?

Hi, I'm trying to find a rear wheel:

29" 6 bolt 135QR rear.

I have a 622 x 22 at the moment on a Trek Dual Sport 2, 8 speed, with Rocket Rons, that work great, but I keep breaking the spokes/buckling the bontrager wheel.

I'm limited to maybe a max 26mm rim as it's a hybrid, not a mtb. 30mm rim will just be too wide, I'm sure.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    I bought one of https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-chosen-hub-alex-volar-trail-wheels-29-82077.html rear for my Voodoo Marasa hybrid a month or so ago, along with the bolt thru end caps so I could use it on my Cube road bike in an emergency, very happy so far using a 40mm Marathon Supreme on it.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • steve10
    steve10 Posts: 11

I bought one of https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-chosen-hub-alex-volar-trail-wheels-29-82077.html rear for my Voodoo Marasa hybrid a month or so ago, along with the bolt thru end caps so I could use it on my Cube road bike in an emergency, very happy so far using a 40mm Marathon Supreme on it.

I’ve ordered a set of these. Many thanks. I’d never have found them myself.

I hope they’re not too wide! I’ll be ok, I think, just. The existing ones are 622 x 20.

Is it the 23mm inside rim or 28 on the new wheel spec I should compare?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    steve10 said:

I’ve ordered a set of these. Many thanks. I’d never have found them myself.

I hope they’re not too wide! I’ll be ok, I think, just. The existing ones are 622 x 20.

Is it the 23mm inside rim or 28 on the new wheel spec I should compare?
    23mm internal and 28mm external rim width.

I'd guess your Rocket Rons are ~2" wide, in which this wheel will have acres of space.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • steve10
    Yes the tyres are 2.1’

With regard to the rims am I comparing the 20mm of my original wheel to the 23 or the 28 of the new?

Obviously I’m a bit late in checking. It’s just that it’s a hybrid, not a Mtb, so not too much if a gap left from the tyre wall to lower frame.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    edited June 2022
    steve10 said:

Yes the tyres are 2.1’

With regard to the rims am I comparing the 20mm of my original wheel to the 23 or the 28 of the new?

Obviously I’m a bit late in checking. It’s just that it’s a hybrid, not a Mtb, so not too much if a gap left from the tyre wall to lower frame.

I suspect you are comparing the old wheel 20mm against the internal width 23mm of the Volar, in theory it fractionally restricts the narrowest tyres you could put on the newer wheel to ~28mm and improves the shape of larger tyres. Tyres will fractionally wider and less deep (so more clearance to seat tube, less clearance to chain stays).

Depending on where you ride, you want ~5mm+ clearance between the tyre and any frame tubes, more for muddy and pebbly riding.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • steve10
    Yeah I’m gonna have narrow chain stay frame gaps. Oh well. Tbh it’s been a nightmare trying to sort this.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    edited June 2022
    Worst case scenario, you get a slightly narrower rear tyre of ~47mm.

Tyre clearance on my Marasa is silly... Can fit a 2.35" G One Speed in the front. There's space for a 2.35" on the rear if it wasn't for the triple front mech that sits a long way behind the seat tube. A 50mm fits with ~3mm clearance which isn't enough, so limited to ~47mm.

All theoretical, as I'm using 35/40mm Marathon Supremes for tarmac commutes.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo