Rate the Giro 2022

2»

Comments

• davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I'll give it a 9...because it went through a little village called Ari for the first time ever!

(Yes, fireworks in the daytime. No, I have no idea why)

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    The problem with these scores is people are calibrated differently. What would people score the worst GT they have seen. Some would only go as low as a five but others would go down to a one. I used to be the former, but now I'm more the latter
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    davep1 said:

I'll give it a 9...because it went through a little village called Ari for the first time ever!

(Yes, fireworks in the daytime. No, I have no idea why)

Yes love this a lot. Big part of GTs which is lost on the tv
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,336
    RichN95. said:

The problem with these scores is people are calibrated differently. What would people score the worst GT they have seen. Some would only go as low as a five but others would go down to a one. I used to be the former, but now I'm more the latter

I'd give it a 0 if possible or a 1. Isn't that the point of a scoring system from 1-10?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah 5 is average
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    I am going 6 . As for unpredictability no one had jai down to win . It was a very very hard race . Perhaps so hard it stunted the GC battle
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,207
    Looking back, I've rated it a bit better than 2021 and 2019, and not as good as 2020. Feels right, but I've enjoyed them all.

If you're judging them with the late 90s as a reference point, you're never going to rate them highly unless the race changes and isn’t so hard that in the gc it rewards staying power and energy management.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    RichN95. said:

I probably wouldn't go 1 because the worst I've seen isn't the worst I could imagine. Maybe a 2 or a 3.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,283
    My calibration is TdF 98 = 0
    Never seen a perfect 10
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905

Never seen a perfect 10

Just shows the subjectivity I suppose, as it was Pantani's riding in that Tour that really got me hooked on the sport. All of the rest faded into the background compared to his exciting attacking.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,638
    Yeah 98 was when I really got hooked in on the Tour as I loved the way that Pantani raced

The 05 Giro was a perfect balance of attack vs defence, and the 2016 and 2018 Giri built to a crescendo in a better way than this year's.

The 03 Tour is probably the best one I can remember in the 25 years or so of watching them
  • rick_chasey

Yeah 98 was when I really got hooked in on the Tour as I loved the way that Pantani raced

The 05 Giro was a perfect balance of attack vs defence, and the 2016 and 2018 Giri built to a crescendo in a better way than this year's.

The 03 Tour is probably the best one I can remember in the 25 years or so of watching them

Better than ‘11?
  • mididoctors

Never seen a perfect 10

I quite enjoyed 98 tdf despite the winner was the guy who didn't get arrested ... I would give it a 2 or 3
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Better than ‘11?
    No
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited June 2022

Yeah 5 is average

I don't really use 5 as average - there's no reason why it should be either, unless whoever makes the thread asks for that. For me it is "how much did I enjoy it" on a scale from 1-10, where 1 would be I hated it, 5 would be ambivalent, and 10 would be I loved every second of it. Given that I tend to prefer watching bike races to not watching bike races, most races will get over a 5.

This is the same ranking system I use for beer on untappd as well...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    I concur,

Much below a 5 and I'll just be watching something else...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    My main recollection of it now is that there was a lot of waiting for things to happen. Not really the sign of a cracking race, that.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    ddraver said:

I concur,

Much below a 5 and I'll just be watching something else...

Not that our rankings really matter, but there are probably a number of stages in any GT that you do actively choose to watch something else (sprint stages perhaps), and we probably discount those and judge a race on the stages we do watch, even though that's probably a small proportion of the overall race.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,207
    edited June 2022
    If a "sprint" stage has a good break that needs chasing and then an exciting sprint, it's overdelivered. Either/or is par.

The stage when it was a lost cause and nobody could be bothered was an embarrassment but still had a decent sprint.