Importance of axle lenght

So I managed to brake my rear axle on my bike just from a start in my lowest gear. How? No ideea. Now i have a big problem,finding a new axle. The warranty sent me a new one but I have to wait 2 weeks.(i cant afford that since i'm racing) My bike has a 12x148 axle with 180.5mm lenght. I found a Maxle with the same specs,but the lenght is 180mm. Would this create a fitment problem or too much stress on the bike? And the second question,for what is the lenght? If the hub is 12x148 why cant i fit any 12x148 axle? Im very confused about this. Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    Half a millimetre won't be a problem as long as all the other specs match. There's different axle lengths because there's different frame designs. If one bike has thicker dropouts than another, it will need to use a longer axle to make it all the way through.
  • Half a millimetre won't be a problem as long as all the other specs match. There's different axle lengths because there's different frame designs. If one bike has thicker dropouts than another, it will need to use a longer axle to make it all the way through.

Thank you very much!