how to transport a road bike on a long airplane trip?

joaop
joaop Posts: 38
edited May 2022 in Road buying advice
I have been researching for a way to safely transport my carbon frame road bike by plane. So far I just found some expensive options, and I was considering to buy this[1] one, and add some extra cardboard/bubble plastic protection.

What do you think? Any advice, or personal experience?

[1]

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Scott-Bike-Transport-Classic-Black/dp/B075H6J6RK/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3CQBCUICHFNR&keywords=fahrradtransport+flugzeug&qid=1653861985&s=sports&sprefix=bike+transport+airplane,sports,55&sr=1-6

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    Option 1 - Will be fine, if not crushed or dropped, and you cannot be guaranteed that it won't be crushed or dropped. Also, no wheels so you will have to carry it.
    Option 2 - I had one and they work, to an extent. There is no crush protection. At least one of my wheels was *always* out of true when re-assembled.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    I've always used a soft bag i found in a charity shop and gone down to the local commercial stationers and bought a huuuuge roll of bubble wrap and wrapped it completely, special attention to rear mech area.

The roll is something like £11 for 30m so use it sll and its pretty safe.

Wheels carried on board as hand luggage.

Never had a problem.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    Wheels as hand luggage? Never heard of that before. Do you fly on private jets or something?
  • MattFalle
    edited May 2022

Wheels as hand luggage? Never heard of that before. Do you fly on private jets or something?

Generally yes, but if we have to fly - gulp - commercial just put wheels in wheel bags, fit straight into overhead lockers on BA and EasyJet. We try and avoid the commercial option as much as poss though tbh, but if TDV has taken the plane already it only leaves me and the bambini the uglier option.

Just carry them on normal. Its just a large round bag.

Cabin crew generally don't care if you're smiley and don't go on about it - or even mention it - if they don't fit just hand them over at the stairs like a pram and they will tuck them in a safe place, collect from bottom of stairs/cabin crew on landing.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Unfortunately, the weak link is not the journey itself, it is likely to be the handling of the bike at either end of the flight. I've used one of the PBK "Bonza" boxes a couple of times and the bike has survived unscathed. The box had obviously seen a bit of rough treatment though, it had a few scuffs and a bit of damage to one of the castors but ultimately it has done its job in protecting the bike.

Very surprised to hear you can take wheels as hand luggage. Any hand luggage I've tried to carry on in recent times has had to go into the metal frame at the check in desk to prove it is within the size limits. Did you have to fold them in half? :-)
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • MattFalle
    crescent said:

Unfortunately, the weak link is not the journey itself, it is likely to be the handling of the bike at either end of the flight. I've used one of the PBK "Bonza" boxes a couple of times and the bike has survived unscathed. The box had obviously seen a bit of rough treatment though, it had a few scuffs and a bit of damage to one of the castors but ultimately it has done its job in protecting the bike.

Very surprised to hear you can take wheels as hand luggage. Any hand luggage I've tried to carry on in recent times has had to go into the metal frame at the check in desk to prove it is within the size limits. Did you have to fold them in half? :-)

Nah - just pop them to one side at check in and if they stop you at the gate just explain thwy are carbon bicycle wheels and give them to the cabin crew.

But as above, if we're taking ours its no problemo.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    With which airline?

I would be amazed if a “budget” airline like Ryanair would allow wheels in the cabin.

The last few times we’ve travelled they’ve checked literally everything including hand luggage dimensions.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    I bought a BW bike box some years back and was miffed when BAA baggage handlers had cracked the box at the corner at some point of the journey, the first time I used it. I raised a claim with them and sent in the purchase receipt of the box; they paid out the full value of the purchase price of the box.
    I didn't buy a new one and without repairing it I've used the box many several times since with no issues, so I can fairly say that it's paid for itself ;)
    So, I can't recommend the options you've looked at, but I can tell you that you're not guaranteed that your bike will get a "First-Class" experience anyway.
  • MattFalle
    edited May 2022
    ibr17xvii said:

With which airline?

I would be amazed if a “budget” airline like Ryanair would allow wheels in the cabin.

The last few times we’ve travelled they’ve checked literally everything including hand luggage dimensions.

Yup, Ryan air won't let you but they barely let you take your legs on.

BA, Emirates, EasyJet.....

Just don't be a clubbie sbout it and all is cool.
  • kingstongraham
    You need to pay extra to take a carry on bag that goes in the luggage rack on easyjet now. Be amazed if they were laissez-faire about wheels.
  • MattFalle
    Its amazing what hapens when you're polite, funny and as cheeky handsome as me.
  • MattFalle
    Probably also depends what direction you're turning at the top of the stairs - those quoting Ryan Air are probably heading opposite to the MFs if they were on the same flight
  • pblakeney
    Fair to say that if I was turning left on entering a plane then the cost of a suitable case and baggage costs wouldn't be of the slightest concern.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2022
    In fact they are not, and I turn right.
    If you can afford it then go for a bikeboxalan, if you can't afford to buy then rent.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    If you turn left on Ryanair or easyjet aren't you flying the thing?
  • MattFalle

If you turn left on Ryanair or easyjet aren't you flying the thing?

Operating the pedals?
  • pblakeney
    I'd take the advice from someone who most definitely turned left on entering a plane.

Bike Box Allan for me every time. My nick should give you an idea of what I do for a living. :wink:

You may well get away with a soft bag again and again, but one day you will come a cropper. If a baggage cart runs into/ over your pride and joy it will be trashed. In a hard shell box it is unlikely to get driven over - probably pushed out of the way.

If it is dropped off a baggage belt/ cart or worse still from the aircraft hold door or belt loader then it is highly likely to be damaged in a soft case but will probably be ok in a solid hard shell box if it is packed correctly.

If you are travelling short haul around Europe you will probably be flying in something like a B737 or Airbus A319/320 family type aircraft. These do not have containerised luggage therefore all the bags and bikes are piled into the holds together. If there is a shift of baggage in flight due turbulence etc then your pride and joy could get a tonne or more of bags pressing up against it. No prizes for guessing which packaging stands the best chance of protecting your steed.

Happy flighting! :mrgreen:

PP

Veronese68 wrote:
  • ibr17xvii said:

With which airline?

In contrast,recently flew Ryanair Machester to Rome and no one checked any bags - have done this route a few times over last few years and never seen any checking of bags
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Depending on how long you are going some bike shops hire out bike boxes. Well, mine does :)
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • MattFalle
    You can always fit it in a large hard suitcase as well if you're good at packing - also means you can check it in as a suitcase and not get chargedfor a bike box.
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    edited June 2022
    I bought a semi hard one (😉) off eBay for our 2019 trip to Parga. I flogged it pretty much as soon as we got back for the same price I paid for it.

Additional costs were,
    Paying for the box to go on the plane. Upside was that we went for 4 weeks so we put loads of clothes in with the bike.
    Insurance
    Mercedes Vito to LGW because a Prius Uber was too small.
    VW Transporter to get home from LGW because a Prius Uber was too small.
    Extra bubble wrap.

• kingstongraham
    MattFalle said:

You can always fit it in a large hard suitcase as well if you're good at packing - also means you can check it in as a suitcase and not get chargedfor a bike box.

Only time I've seen this was a titanium frame that could be taken apart, and was built specifically for this purpose.
  • MattFalle
    edited June 2022
    Russian triathlete i once met did this. Bit of a squeeze but he travelled everywhere with it.

Normal bike, no foldable thang.
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2022

MattFalle said:

Only time I've seen this was a titanium frame that could be taken apart, and was built specifically for this purpose.
    Depends on the size of hard case* luggage and bike frame but I did consider it.
    Involves removing rear derailleur, seat post, bars and fork. Fitting in the wheels and bars can be more problematic than the frame. Decided I couldn't be bothered.

*Have to ensure it is crush proof too.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    If you need a crush proof suitcase big enough to do that, just get a bike box, surely. Like a buxm or something.
  • kingstongraham
    The titanium bike that came apart was very smart though.
  • MattFalle

If you need a crush proof suitcase big enough to do that, just get a bike box, surely. Like a buxm or something.

Big suitcase from charity shop: £20

Buxm: £shedloads

Advertising yo thieves:

Big suitcase from charity shop: nil
    Buxm: shedloads
  • MattFalle

The titanium bike that came apart was very expensive though.

Ftfy
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I have used a soft bag in the past with sheets of cardboard down both sides (taken from a cardboard bike box) and some pipe insulation on the tubes. Rear derailleur detached but left hanging.

The benefit of the soft bag is you can squeeze loads of other stuff. I have added all my cycle clothing, helmet, cycle shoes, full size track pump and tool kit. I use 2 kiddies beach balls inflated and placed in the rear triangle and at the front of the box. They keep the sides away from the frame. Wheels in wheel bags alongside the frame.

As a 7 person group we have travelled on 4 European holidays - 56 flights in total - and had no damage.