Breathing new life into an aged Peugeut Outdoor 300

Never my favourite bike until recently, when a move to a relatively hilly area of France with roads designed to shred road bike tyres made me bring out the relative antiquity for any shopping trip. It had a rack, for a start, and tyres wide enough to slow down what was already a heavy bike on made roads. It was, however, indifférent to both gravel and dirt ones. Gave it a quick spray of WD40 and off I went.

Gears change, especially between the front dérailleurs, was worse than my memory said. Fitting a twist shifter for them revolutionised that bit. Rushing down to the world's best bike store chain, furnished me with another for the réar 7, and suddenly I had created the perfect bike for my usage. Yes, the old shimanos still didn't shift that fast, but being able to twist just the one lever per side changed my life. Not to divorce standard, you understand, but watch next year's TDF. There'll be a bike arriving days after the rest ridden by an aged gent chewing an apple with a huge mile on his face.