freewheel sprocket noise?

does this noise mean anything?

The bike was not used and left outside for a long time. The freewheel sprocket spun free in both directions. After removing it and dripping oil thru it in both directions it appeared to work fine. Once reinstalled it still works fine, but does make this noise when I stop peddling. With bike upside down and rear wheel spinning freely i can also fell the noise as a vibration in the frame.

Im considering rebuilding and selling this bike. Ive done this for many bikes, but this is my 1st with this issue. Everything else on bike is fine. Except that all the cables need to be replaced, which Ive done before.

When i had the rear sprocket off i cleaned and repacked the rear wheel bearings(something I have done before).

Might there be an issue with the freewheel sprocket down the road after Ive sold the bike?

Hyper Havoc 21 speed.

noise: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/B3ge8bCQrfE
Yes while peddling you can hear a higher pitch front sprocket chain noise that I will take care of when I adjust the shifting, Im not asking about this.

tks,
paul

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Freewheels can be noisy. Some by design, some by lack of maintenance.
    Put grease in there instead of oil and you will probably be happy.
    Google for videos to see how this is done.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 417
    edited May 2022
    The Pawls or engagement system had seized up while sitting outside, it sounds like it's still pretty rough inside with likly some gunk
    Take the freehub off and give inside the wheel and the freehub a clean and lube with light oil or light grease ,if its pawls they can be picked up for pennies to replace them
    Also packing the bearings with grease won't help ,part of that noise is the bearings will be shot too with the lack of use and being outside
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    Looks like a 7 Speed Freewheel rather than a freehub. As far as I know they are not serviceable so you can't strip it down to grease the innards. If it were mine I'd get a bike shop to remove it from the wheel (looks rusty so might be a bugger); let it soak for a couple of days in a tub full of Cola (Coke or other brands). Rinse it then let it dry. Soak it in a tub of car engine oil for a day. Let it drain then refit to the wheel. You won't need a tool to tighten as it screws on in the direction of the chain.
    If that doesn't revive it then find a new one. Costs about £15.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• photonic69
    Forgot to add - it's possible the hub bearings are shot judging from that noise. Take the chain off (drop it in cola as above) and spin the wheel so the freewheel turns with it. If you've still got a noise it's the bearings and the wheel is toast.

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 608
    If it's a cheap freewheel I'd move straight to option B and buy a new one. £13 at Decathlon.

I also thought that the racket could easily be shot hub bearings, but you say you've done them?
    What state were the bearings / races when you cleaned & repacked them??

And drop the chain in the recycling bin and drink the cola.
  • photonic69
    Munsford0 said:

And drop the chain in the recycling bin and drink the cola.

Yup. I'm inclined to agree. Preferably with a large glug of vodka and ice.

However, judging by the state of the bike and having been left outside and given that the OP wants to sell it on, I'd be going down the cheapest path possible and as I have such things in abundance at home I'd be loathe to spend more than a few quid on a set of cables on the BSO.

I'd be embarrassed to ask more than £30 for that if I was selling it.