Poor braking - brand new bike

Kauto5
Kauto5 Posts: 71
Evening everyone,

This week I took delivery of a new road bike with R8100 disc brakes. It's the first time I've ever had disc brakes so I've been looking forward to better braking performance. Unfortunately on my first ride I found the brakes to be particularly weak and very squeaky when being pulled. The wheels can still turn even when the brakes are fully compressed. I can pull the levers over halfway in before the pads touch the brake disc.

My bike arrived assembled and stated it was ready to use. I've looked at a few YouTube videos and a lot suggest bleeding them, but with the bike being brand new I'm not certain that'll solve it. Any suggestions on where I'm going wrong will be most welcome!

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Did you bed the pads in ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Kauto5
    Kauto5 Posts: 71
    I didn't, and I didn't even realise this was necessary :/ having now looked it up I feel like a right fool! :D

Thanks for pointing this out! Hopefully I can bed them in tomorrow!
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 416
    edited May 2022
    Half way in is about normal ,you can also adjust the freestroke which would possibly help too ,very simple to do
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,626

Half way in is about normal ,you can also adjust the freestroke which would possibly help too ,very simple to do

You can't really. All this does is cause disc rub, which let's face it is almost inevitable anyway.

At least it will drown out the ticking from the press fit bottom bracket.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Don’t be bullied into thinking it’s your fault. The brakes should work well in a new bike, if they don’t, then it is down to the retailer to come with a solution… this bedding in of brakes pads is nonsense and only an excuse for a shoddy job. I never had to bed in brake pads, including disc brake ones. You fit them, they should work straightaway… they will improve a bit once the rotor get some of the pad material as a coat, but they should work from the start.
    left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,626
    But here in the real world I'd be inclined to take them out lightly sand, rinse the dust off and see if it makes any difference. As an alternative to going 9 rounds with a retailer, that is.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    The retailer is responsible for final assembly of the bike and checking that the brakes are working fully. An element of the cost includes an assembly fee. The retailer will sort it and discuss the need for some robust braking on your initial rides.