Lowering saddle height

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a GT GTR Series 2 bike. Really great shape but it’s just about 2 -3cm too high for me (beginners mistake). However if can get the seat lower it should be ok. Even with post lowered all the way down it still feels a bit too high.

Are there seat posts that place the seat very close to the seat post? I currently have a Ritchey alloy post and it looks like this.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Doubtful.
    Either the bike is too big or your preference is too low.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    You don’t need both feet touching the ground on a bike.
    This will give you a rough idea
    https://youtu.be/ZxRVphhR_Ww

When you stop a bike you come off the saddle standing with one foot planted solidly on the ground, the other on the pedal. Push up back onto the saddle as you move off.

If above method fails and/or frame is touching you when you stand over, then the bike is definitely too big. You’ll only put yourself off cycling if you try to ride that’s the wrong size.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,558
    You might be better buying an inline seatpost (straight). You should be able to set it lower, and it'll put you slightly closer to the handlebar.
    https://wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-inline-6061-seatpost
    Seatposts come in different tube diameters, so check before buying.
    A lower profile saddle could help too.
  • Yeah, based on how much seat post you are showing, that bike looks to be too big for you unfortunately. The main issue is that the seat tube extends about 3-4cm above the top tube which means it is going to be hard to lower the seat much further, even with a different post.

It is not just saddle height, if the frame itself is just too big it could effect other aspects of the fit and cause you issues with overall comfort. There is also a safety issue with a big that is too big as you can lack control of the bike (if you have to stop suddenly, can you easily dismount from the bike?).
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    How extended is your leg on the bike? As above, seated position when riding is the important bit, not if you can put both feet on the floor when seated.

Can you post a piccie of you sitting on the bike, leg at 6 o,'clock?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Even with post lowered all the way down it still feels a bit too high.

As mentioned upthread - what reference points are you using to establish whether your saddle is too high? If you are measuring 'seat to floor', then that is the wrong measurement anyway. If you are measuring 'seat to pedals', then it's the correct measurement - but it also means your frame is way too big. Consequently, if you need to lower the saddle as much as you have done in the pic, then realistically you will never be properly comfortable on that frame.

• That was the by far the best video I’ve seen on adjusting height if the saddle. Thanks!