Annoying clicking noise that will never go away- Nukeproof Scout 290 - 2020

I have an annoying clicking noise that the bike makes every time it hits something. It can be replicated by bouncing the bike on it's back wheel.
I've tried almost everything to eliminate this noise. It's had new headset bearings both upper and lower, and a new deraileur. I've even tried swapping the fork with the fork on another bike and the clicking still persists! I've also tried numerous tests with 1 item at a time removed: seat post, clamp, dropper cable, brakes, mudguard, front wheel, handlebars, rear wheel and the clicking still persists.
The headset is clean and greased.
It is hard to tell where the noise is coming from but I would guess the headset is most likely.
The only thing remaining is the headset cup ?
On close inspection it looks like the cup isn't in great condition. But there is no play. Can a headset cup cause such loud clicking ? Seeing as this will mean throwing a lot more time and money into this problem.
Also I've ran out of ideas for anything else that could possibly be causing this clicking

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Loose BB or worn bearings, loose pedal bushes.
    Broken cassette, yes you can ride with a broken cassette, it depends upon where it is broken. I once rode with a sheared rear hub axle. When I removed the wheel to investigate, the cassette fell onto the floor! That was on one week old bike.
    My first thought was the saddle, but that must have gone when you removed the seat post.
    Cracked frame by any chance? :'(
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Chain slap? Cable?
    Where's the noise in relation to your head? Forwards? backwards? Central? High or low?
  • grannyjone
    grannyjone Posts: 4
    edited May 2022
    Sounds like it's coming from the headset area.
    It makes the noise when riding anything rough 100% of the time.
    The noise can be replicated easily by hitting a curb or standing off the bike and bouncing it on it's back wheel or hitting a wheel against a curb even while standing off the bike.
    No play in the headset at all.
    Have ruled out cables, removed them and it still persists
    Have ruled out crown races in the headsets and headset spacers by the bouncing on back wheel with them removed.

Have also just removed chain, cassette, bottom bracket, cranks, chainring, pedals and bounced it on back wheel or hitting a wheel against a curb and the noise still persists.
  • grannyjone
    edited May 2022
    me-109 said:

Chain slap? Cable?
    Where's the noise in relation to your head? Forwards? backwards? Central? High or low?

Forwards and high I think. I think it is coming from the headset area but difficult to tell for certain.

I have removed the following possible causes by removing it from the bike and bouncing it: The clicking still persists:

Fork (swapped for other fork)
    Upper and Lower Headset bearings (put new bearings in)
    Seat Post & Clamp
    Dropper cable
    Front and Rear Brakes
    Mudguard
    Handlebars
    Front and rear wheels
    Cassette
    Upper
    BB/Cranks/Pedals/Chain
    Plastic cable route guides

In addition I've cleaned the hanger and through axles. Difficult to test with these removed however.

That really just leaves the Headset cup and the frame as a possible cause ?
  • My friend rode a bike with this noise - we never found the cause. She's still riding it :D
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I would have suggested worn fork bushes resulting in a bit of slap, but you have swapped those out.
    I'd expect you to feel any headset movement as usual so probably not that.
    So all you've got left is brake lever slap (up and down on the pivot or in and out over the free stroke) or similar from the dropper lever (or any remote lockouts).
  • grannyjone
    edited May 2022
    I've had the Upper cups replaced, and the clicking still persists.

Things eliminated so far:
    Headset (upper cups)
    Headset (new bearings upper and lower, new crown race, spacers)
    Things removed individually and then tested:
    Seat Post (removed)
    Dropper Cable
    Front & rear brakes
    Mudguard
    Front & rear wheel
    BB/Cranks/Pedals/Chain
    Plastic cable route guide
    Derailuer cleaned and the 3 bolts greased
    Fork swapped with another Fork
    Handlebars (including all levers)
    Stem

All these tests have been carried out and it still clicks when one of the wheels hits something

The only thing I can think of that is remaining is the Lower bearing cups and the frame

Thinking of taking it back to Bike shop, it's just over 2 years old so out of warranty for everything except the 5 year warranty on the Headset and Frame I believe
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Is there something floating about inside the frame ? Ie someone’s dropped a small bolt down the seat tube