MTB flat pedals with full bearings at both ends

As the title suggests, I am looking for some flat pedals with bearings at both ends of the spindle.

I saw the recent BR group test and they all seem to have either a bushing, or a tiny 'bottle cage bolt' sized bearing at the open end of the pedal.

I'd like something that will handle a few years of riding without needing replacing.

So...does anyone know of and recommend some sturdy pedals - weight, height, looks, etc are not a consideration?

Thanks!

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I don't know of any pedals with a ball bearing at each end (which is what I believe you mean by a "bearing".

The problem with the bearing at the crank end of the pedal is the sealing against water and muck. If the seal is no good then it doesn't matter what bearing you use. The one at the other end of the axle is well away from any contamination and it can easily be a ball bearing, especially as it needs to be small diameter.

The bearing loads are heavy and slow rotation, which is actually perfect for a bush as the load is spread over a wider area than just the 8 or 9 balls in the bearing.

But as you rightly demanded, you just want the bearing to last for a couple of years.

I have had a pair of DMR Vaults pedals since 2010. When I bought a second bike a few years later, I bought another identical set of Vaults (black with blue pins). I have still got those pedals and I no longer know which pedal is the oldest, they both look the same to me now. I have replaced the bushes three times in those 12 years. It was a cheap and easy thing to do. I didn't have to replace the tiny ball bearing, but it is exposed during the bush replacement, and the service kit came with one, so why not?

I have used the same lip seal on all four axles since new, but I now fit a small O ring between the lip seal and the end of the axle nearest the bike. The O ring presses the lip seal into place better it seems to me. I also use a lot of water-resistant grease inside the axle.

Of course, the life of the bearing will depend upon the conditions you chuck at it. I weigh 92kg in my riding kit, I ride all year round and my most frequently visited location is notorious for its abrasive trail surface all year round and wet conditions for the Autumn and Winter months. I don't jump very high but I do clatter at speed down the trails. Ii do not commute (easy life, despite the mileage) and I average 1200 trail miles per year.

I believe that the DMR V12 has the same basic design as the Vaults, but is a bit heavier and hence cheaper. Not sure about the V8's, never really looked at them.

PS: It will pay dividends if you remove the pedal axle every six months or so and clean and regrease without replacing the bearings or bushes. Don't forget to fit an O ring the first time.

PPS: service kits are relatively cheap and can be had from Rulla Bearings in Leeds.
    https://www.rullabearings.com/product/replacement-bearing-kit-to-fit-dmr-vault-pedals/

It looks as though for £13.49 you are getting the axles as well! You aren't, read the text.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited August 2022
    Shimano pedals, a bit bigger and clunkier for the extra space required for bearings, but super durable. Make sure you get bearing not bushing ones.

Not flats, but my M520's have now done 11,500 miles following my rigorous maintenance regime of not touching the damn things so I can buy some nicer ones when they fail.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    edited August 2022
    I regreased my Shimano DX SPDs (the ones with the red cage) last year, maybe the year before, for the first time since buying and fitting them early/mid-90s. Used frequently, although in fits and spurts at times, across all conditions. Indestructible I'm sure. Do Shimano do flats?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited August 2022
    The maintenance on those Shimano SPDs make my DMR Vaults (flats) look really bad. :(

But as you say they are SPDs not flats, so not a fair comparison. I have had some Shimano M520's since 2009 and apart from cleaning them now and again they have not been touched. But they don't get anywhere near the hammer that the Vaults do!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    me-109 said:

Do Shimano do flats?

Yes!
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technologies/component/pedal/pedal-lineup-chart.html

I have had some Shimano M520's since 2009

Mine are 2009 as well, although only used on my commuter they don't get an easy time, including a salt water spray test for circa 6-8 weeks of the year!

Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

I don't know of any pedals with a ball bearing at each end (which is what I believe you mean by a "bearing".

The problem with the bearing at the crank end of the pedal is the sealing against water and muck. If the seal is no good then it doesn't matter what bearing you use. The one at the other end of the axle is well away from any contamination and it can easily be a ball bearing, especially as it needs to be small diameter.

The bearing loads are heavy and slow rotation, which is actually perfect for a bush as the load is spread over a wider area than just the 8 or 9 balls in the bearing.

I

At anytime in a ball bearing the load is taken by only 1 or2 balls at a time.
    As said above a bush is a much better option.

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    As an engineer I see absolutely no advantage to a bearing at both ends.
    I've got a set of Gusset flats which must be 15 years old now with bushings at both ends.
    The only thing that will guarantee longevity is maintenance (or leave them in the box)