Gardeners World

2»

Comments

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,558
    Stevo_666 said:

To be fair we never had a real cold spell this winter gone and certainly no snow. Not sure what I can do apart from see how the Acer gets on next winter. It's quite a big plant so looks like its been around over a few winters.

Japanese maples are quite hardy and can withstand low temperatures. Japan has pretty cold winters.
    The thing that affects them most is the wind. They get battered here and in early spring can lose nearly all their leaves, they still survive, but don't look so pretty.
    I've got a really nice big one (ooh err). I'll take a pic later, but that gulf-stream and jet-stream have brought some torrential rain to these parts.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    masjer said:

Stevo_666 said:

To be fair we never had a real cold spell this winter gone and certainly no snow. Not sure what I can do apart from see how the Acer gets on next winter. It's quite a big plant so looks like its been around over a few winters.

Japanese maples are quite hardy and can withstand low temperatures. Japan has pretty cold winters.
    The thing that affects them most is the wind. They get battered here and in early spring can lose nearly all their leaves, they still survive, but don't look so pretty.
    I've got a really nice big one (ooh err). I'll take a pic later, but that gulf-stream and jet-stream have brought some torrential rain to these parts.
    Go on then, post a pic of your big one (Fnarr Fnarr).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • masjer

Soggy but still looking good. This one has lost its leaves in spring before and still came back fine. It looks smaller on the pic. I'd say it's about 15 foot diameter.

A smaller one, but still nice.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    The one I had in the garden lost it's leaves in a late spring cold snap and deaded.

I have one in a pot - rescued from Lidl at half price, last one, and it will live in the conservatory until big enough to be planted out.
    It lost it's leaves in late September oddly and then it has bounced back this spring.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    masjer said:

Soggy but still looking good. This one has lost its leaves in spring before and still came back fine. It looks smaller on the pic. I'd say it's about 15 foot diameter.

A smaller one, but still nice.

Much nicer than my rather bare specimen!
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,561
    My neighbour here has just planted a few of those Acer trees in her yard. Think she's being optimistic that they'll survive and flourish. Soil is mostly sand, and critters will eat anything they can get.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,514
    I had a small Acer at my previous place, the snails ate the bark off the main branch on one side and killed it. Took me a while to work out why half the tree was fine and the other half had completely died.
  • masjer

• Stevo_666
    masjer said:

Did that council employee give you permission to use their photo?